1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

:fonz:

1 person likes this.
  2. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

:thumbs-up: Personally I like suits in shades of blue and gray better than brown, but this combination works well.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Dormeuil, from the Scottie Derby book

I don't know - I wear mostly cotton pants with my sport coats. I just like the feel and fabric juxtaposition better than wool on wool. And to me, sport coats are my take on business casual, so double-soled norwegers, knit ties and cotton pants all fit the concept. I may be in a minority here on these points

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

lol, thanks.

no, i think i am. i just have a hard time visually with almost all wool type SCs and cotton pants that look like cotton pants. i pretty much only wear wooly/cashmerey SCs with wooly/cashmerey pants. my loss.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

con·fab noun \ˈkän-ˌfab, kən-ˈ\

Definition of CONFAB

1: chat 1
    2: discussion, conference

Stitchy, gdl is in the minority on these points. He looked good today, but he was absolutely outside the conventional wisdom with the juxtaposition. I think it worked (just) because of the weight of the cotton fabric and the bit of sheen the twill (?) imparted. Unlike unbuttoned jacket cuffs and flyaway ties, that combo shows real sprezzatura. Or, to translate for you, bubbeleh, spreezy.

6. in stitches

new word for me.

lolz, those words i am familiar with. also, i know already that you lean more to my side in the cotton pants/wooly SC debate. and that makes me happy.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'll disagree, SB. Khakis make for a casual pairing with sportcoats, yes, but the combo has an unquestionable pedigree. It's been a mainstay of the Trad/prep/Ivy look in the decades since WWII. Beyond that, khakis and tweed are both rustic, casual cloths.

SF hasn't much cared for the look, but I suspect that has a lot to do with the pendulum swing of formailty many of our posters experience after finding/seeking out the forum.

5 people like this.
  8. in stitches

for me, the issue is more than cotton almost always looks wrinkly/crumply to me. even gdls khakis, which i would classify as nice khakis, still have a cottony, unstructured wrinkly/crumply look to me. whereas his SC has a smoother, cleaner no wrinkle/crumple look to it. most wooly/cashmere-y coats do to my eye.

now, tweed, thats a closer aesthetic for me, and certainly cotton SCs match the cotton trou. but i still have a visual impairment with SCs like gdls, matched with khakis. like i said, my loss. i know a lot of well dressed guys here do rock that look, and you have backed it up with history. im sure its legit, my personal eye just has difficulty with it.

9. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

My sentiments exactly. I have worn chinos with SCs and their wrinkly nature brings down the SC. How else to dress down SCs without the wrinkle effect?

10. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

I think u guys forgot most GDL's fit is a bit on the relaxed/casual side.

11. in stitches

for me, go tie-less and leave the jacket open.

agreed. i like the fit. i was only stating that for me personally, i have a hard time with that SC and those khakis. not knocking gdl. not my place. the look is solid. no doubt.

12. DocHolliday

Not worrying about the wrinkles in your khakis will set you free.

6 people like this.
  13. in stitches

[​IMG]

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't question the pedigree of khakis with SCs, but I don't think that particular variety of SC is a natural fit for them. They look okay with hopsack, but pretty wimpy with tweed. The more pronounced twill of heavier cloths works better, though, than the typical example seen here, which is part of why I think gdl's work okay above.

15. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I don't think khakis or other cotton trousers "dress down" a SC. A SC is already dressed down by itself... [​IMG]

That said, there are textures and textures. Moleskins work better with tweed, IMO.

16. DocHolliday

Does denim dress down a sportcoat?

17. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

It's a gray flannel suit.... do you mean you don't like brown ties with suits?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  18. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I think jeans are a step down in formality from khakis so I'd say yes... correct me if I'm wrong [​IMG]

19. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

It's an interesting discussion. As I said, I'm in the minority on SF where everyone seems to want to wear grey wool pants with their sport coats.

That said,I can say with a very level of confidence that nearly 100% of my sport coat outfits are with cotton pants. So not really new news here...

20. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

No, your picture shows a brown suit, whatever color it may actually be [​IMG]