1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. etkl

etkl Senior member

Didn't see this when I wrote my post but your observation only goes so far; that is, that a "healthy" look is inherently more attractive. Bu that look encompasses a whole lot of shapes and sizes.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

It IS nonsense to say that a gray+gray sock+trou, or blue+blue, is objectively ugly. I would call that combo "not ideal" but never objectively ugly. The same way that I often see on the street, and posted here, outfits that are not ideal but not objectively ugly.

White shirt + white square I never identified as "not ideal." I in fact do think it is ideal for certain occasions. I both like the way it looks and I think it is correct for certain occasions, and better--on those occasions--that other alternatives. I think it always looks objectively good but that there are some occasions when an alternative combo both would look better and better fit the occasion--the latter influencing the former.

3. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

This looks good but I think a light blue shirt would be better than that white one.

4. etkl

etkl Senior member

Dude, seriously, I plead guilty to not being familiar with the research and relying on intuition. I didn't realize I was walking into a sociology symposium. But if you can ghten us,please do so.

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's not my observation. Just read the papers that I linked, there's no sense in derailing the thread further. They specifically discuss hips-to-waist ratio, which was Manton's original point. But if you read through the papers you'll find other dimensions along which men have very similar preferences across different cultures.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  6. Manton

but according to the terms of your own argument, there should only be one prettiest tie. You need a black bow for the DJ, a black grenadine after that for funerals, a wedding tie for weddings, and maybe one CBD blue twill print for job interviews ... but after that, there are no required ties. Indeed, the perfect job interview tie could well go with everything else. But let that slide, so four "necesary ties" and after that, either there should only be one most beautiful tie or else all the rest should be exactly equally beautiful or else they have no place in your closet.

7. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Unbel - is that one of the new Vandas?

1 person likes this.
  8. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

No. I never argued there was one prettiest of anything. I am arguing that white-and-white shirt/square is never prettiest. Big difference.

That said, I think you could potentially select four or five ties to suffice for all regular wear. It's just very hard to do.

9. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

10. Manton

backtracking

11. mafoofan

Where??!?

12. etkl

etkl Senior member

Exactly, and given that it is highly unlikely that you ever have the ideal tie for a given outfit, you will never have the ideal outfit, only the best one given the limitations of your wardrobe at a given time.

13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Meant to comment in a thumb but apparently that's no longer possible - answer is yes. Although my favorite of the new ones is this one (now sold out I think, unfortunately):

[​IMG]

Up close you can see more color flecks.

1 person likes this.
  14. mafoofan

You can acknowledge it is difficult to pick between many difference choices, while also knowing one particular choice is wrong. It's like on the SAT when you can't eliminate all the answers.

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Oooh, I like that, unbel. Very nice.

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Lol thats not necessary with the technology of the modern world.

Also, this argument has gotten way too tedious. No one is changing anyones mind. And even if one side or the other realizes they may be wrong, no way they have the stones and humility to admit it. Nor the incentive to do so.

Yeesh. This thread was better when people were posting the crappy-est of fits. I await the return of our somewhat regularly scheduled program.

In the mean time, im meeting Mktits tonight for dinner. Should be fun, and our seating arrangement will in no way be dependent on the color of either parties socks.

3 people like this.
  17. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wish the DH OP would come back to this thread to delete all this crap.

18. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

This thread continues to be full of choice sig quotes.

1 person likes this.
  19. NORE

NORE Senior member

Why do folks keep falling for the same trick time and time again? Sheesh.

20. mafoofan

You could use your powers.

I'd like to point out the humanitarian discipline demonstrated by both sides of this war. No comments have been modified. No posts have been deleted. No red buttons have been pressed. There is hope.