whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Thanks for the thoughts. I suspect many of you will find fault over the coming weeks given my almost total reliance on the white linen square.

2. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Exceptional taste is taking a lot of the uniform elements of being "well dressed" (see OBD thread / concept) and injecting some life into it...

The Jesus H. Christ in the universe of great taste in this case would be Fred Astaire

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

at great risk, i post some pics i had in my photobucket.

whnay, i hope i did not induce any involuntary vomiting, or other sickness.

[​IMG]

the dreaded gray odd jacket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

iirc there is, you guessed it, a plain white square in the pocket in this one as well, the shirt is a light blue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Eustace Tilley

Here is one from today. I promise to start taking better pics going forward - this one is admittedly awful.

Shirt is a very light pink.

[​IMG]

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Not me

6. wmb

wmb Senior member

dislike the tie -- the rest is fine

7. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Err, that would actually be an improvement.

Ideally, you'd put in something with a complex, but tonally quiet pattern--like a very intricate paisley.

8. wmb

wmb Senior member

Alright fellas, have at it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/quote

these are great

9. whnay.

in stitches

I wish you hadn't told me about the odd gray jacket as most of everything else (sportcoats / suits) is pretty good. Your ties, on the other the hand, look like hand-me-downs or TJ Maxx (look at me I found a obscure designer tie) are ugly. Replace immediately...

10. RJE

RJE Senior member

So many spoilers; I tried to split the groups but lost track.

1 Horrible tie
    2 Fine if uninteresting. Actually quite solid.
    3 Fine.
    4 Hermes? I just dislike ties like that. I think I have one (Brioni?) just like that buried somewhere. The silk feels incredible.
    5 OK I guess.
    6 OK.
    7 Tie texture too close to jacket texture. Nice tie.
    8 Really like. Really like.
    9 OK. I don't like shirt stripes like that. I think I generally wouldn't do small patterns on a ps if the tie had small patterns - esp. if they were the same colour.
    10. No. Grenadine too close in pattern to the shirt microcheck. But I like the jacket/tie/ps.

1. It's OK, but to me, the shirt says summer; the jacket says winter. I might be getting over that distinction, but I see a lot of check - esp. gingham - shirts used in a way that feels unseasonal to me. I think it's because I wear 'country' shirts with tweed, and I get the feeling that's not done much outside the UK.
    2. Shirt/jacket dissonance again.
    3. I don't mind this one.

11. Eustace Tilley

They're all nice, foo. But I wish you had kept this one a bit simpler - POW + candy stripe + broad repp tie is just one pattern too many. Maybe a solid grenadine tie, or one of your favorite solid blue shirts.

12. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

1. You're overdoing the purple--and the white for that matter. Purple in the suit does not necessarily call for a purple tie, and a white shirt does not require a white square. Lots of lost opportunity to marry things together in an interesting way. Consequently, there is no visual flow. The best outfits, in my opinion, are the ones that make my eyes both dance and linger. Easiest solution? Don't wear weird colored suits that limit your options.

2. Yeah, see, if you didn't tell us this is an odd jacket, I'd assume you're in a suit. I don't like the tie design, but the nobody will fault you for the color and whether it matches your jacket. It's just another "dead" outfit. Grey, blue, white--a single tone each. Ditch the white square for a start. Better to wear no square at all then to simply mimic your shirt.

3. Same deal with the square/shirt matching. Don't do it. Tie is hideous. Discard.

4. Your best effort in this series. But that may be because I can't see the white square you're probably wearing. :)

5. The tie and jacket clash. They are different colors (and ones that often complement), but they are both about the same intensity and saturation level.

General thoughts: get away from white shirts with odd jackets and don't wear white squares with them. If you are having trouble figuring out pocket squares, leave them out until you get more comfortable.

13. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

A question for the Big Dogs, if I may:

I absolutely love all the fits posted by Mafoofan, especially with the Glen Check DB, and the last one by Manton. It seems to me, however, that the square comes out of left field, yet totally works. I always end up trying to pick up on something else in the fit... Shirt colour, the figures on a neat-print tie, etc.

How do you so flawlessly choose a square that seems to relate to nothing else, yet works so well with everything? Is it instinct, or is there an actual rationality behind it?

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

sorry about the odd jacket, but i can not tell a lie. even on the internets.

:( even the tie in #4. i thought that one was ok.

the ties are neither tj maxx or hand me downs, but i am working on a new collection. also, what would you then recommend with the purple overcheck POW SC in #1. i thought a purple tie with white dots was a pretty decent choice?

15. whnay.

I have found that green generally works with purple and pink. Try a loden green solid in a tweedy material (wool, challis are two examples)