whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Suit: linen; shirt: linen-cotton; tie: linen; square: silk. Colors are reasonably true, slightly washed out.

[​IMG]

Oh and for those who say it's easy to take pics, it's humid as the tropics here right now, I get very unhappy after my short walk from the train and really want to get the hell out of this get-up. The few minutes it takes to get the pic are unpleasant. You're welcome.

2. RJE

RJE Senior member

1 Too much going on. Make shirt more subtle. Good elements. Just a bit narrower with the shirt stripes and I'd really like this.
    2 Busy shirt with busy tie. Dislike the tie.
    3 Not terrible, but just doesn't gel. Having trouble seeing why.
    4 Busy shirt, busy tie; nothing with any presence. Just too close in colour. Possibly don't like the tie.
    5 Not bad. Best. I've noticed I don't like small patterns esp. smaller dots against a houndstooth pattern, so I'd prefer it if they weren't there, just the bigger tie pattern. Bad example would be this from above:
    [​IMG]

I also think you work too hard to avoid coordination, making it a bit discordant. Others go the other extreme, always using a ps related to their shirt, for example (that's not a bad starting point if you can't work out what else).

3. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have an irrational hatred of yellow polka dot ties, hard to make out everything else but I love the square (drakes?)

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

If a new poster arrives with some particularly good wit, instead of asking at what age is appropriate to wear tasseled loafers, we'll know he's been reborn.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Mike, absolutely love the tie/shirt/suit combo. I never think to wear a cream tie like that, but this is very inspiring.

That said, I think the pocket square looks like it beamed into your pocket from Mars. Can we see you tuck in something else before you undress?

6. Manton

Ctp @ 214:

That is LOUD stripe. Which is not bad per se but I think it’s best to pair a loud stripe with a quieter everything else rather than try for four patterns. This is the good taste thread, remember, and that would be in better taste if you dialed it down. The second pic is nicer than the first. The first tie has lovely colors but the paisleys are too big. A little smaller would be good, or if you want them to be that big, a different shape would be better. Foo is right about the square.

[email protected] = Good Taste. @218 is a little sketchy. BD with DB and DB with no tie are both problematic. The former is really an “error” unless Astaire does it. Though if you are going to do it, do it with linen. It also helps that the coat is 4x2 rather than 6. Blue DB with white square really draws screaming attention to the lack of a tie. I think, if you want to do this, much better with SB.

[email protected] Not bad. The fold on the square is not great. Just TV fold it and be done. You should not have done patch hip pockets on that suit. All the colors are good.

7. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Manton,

I like all the parts separately, but the square ground and tie ground clash rather than harmonize imo.

8. Manton

The tie is actually a very light gray with blue dots. The square ... I can't remember if it was Barney's or Paul Stuart but it was an impluse buy. I think it works, foo.

With flash, if it helps:

[​IMG]

9. mafoofan

Still very nice as a light grey. My takeaway from this outfit is that I need to try some light colored ties.

The square . . . I am just not digging it at all, at least as part of this outfit. Just seems totally random to me.

I can't remember seeing an outfit in recent memory that cried out louder for a white linen square. It would look absolutely awesome--and I don't even like white linen.

10. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

^^ I cant stop looking at the pocket square.....kindly replace with something a little less.....bold.
    Great look otw.

Regards.

11. Manton

that's the point guys, everything else is quiet to the point of soporifc, the square is the only thing that gives it lift.

12. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Thanks - NSM.

13. mafoofan

But the rest is so painfully sophisticated in a subtle, quiet way. The square is a loud fart.

14. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

The suit looks beautiful, but the square is just far too loud and incongruous with the rest of the outfit. I understand that you'd like one element to provide a 'lift' but I think this one misses the mark.

15. Manton

Solid burg square? :devil: