1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member

Thanks, it is the Drakes (from Spoo, BTW). The tie is navy, so I think the square works.

Thanks, gdl

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member

apparently, today is the day where i type things so unclearly that my intent is misrepresented. :fu:

i do not believe that anyone here is trying to mold me into anything. i am well aware that each person here (well, for the most part) shares their opinion to help better each other in the long term goal of dressing well. and i GREATLY appreciate it. whether the comment is a harsh critique, or a thumbs up. as long as it well intended, its appreciated and helpful.

i know that this thread is not "CBD" officially, but its trend, and backbone, i think is, and there is nothing wrong with that.

it certainly does a great deal of hashing out, "what goes with what, color-wise, texture-wise, what proportions work, etc... ," but i think it is still mainly in the context of CBD. even though i know that one will argue, "no, what color goes with what color, and what scale goes with what scale, are universal concepts." i am not sure everyone would agree to that, and whether or not it is correct. i think maybe for the most part it is, but not entirely.

i was really just replying to HFs astute comment to discussions we have had elsewhere about developing a proper style, and replicating it successfully. i only meant that what i wore today, i would classify as one type of style, and within that type, i think i have learned a lot. mostly from here, and i will now be better equipped to replicate success within that category. there are others areas where i have not yet quite pinned down what needs fixing, and that i wil continue to work on. and yet there are other "fits" or styles, that for whatever reason, and whether or not they are "working," they still visually appeal to me, and i will continue to wear them, just cuz i like em.

im not sure if i explained myself any better, but my comment was in no way meant to be pretentious, or to come off as being unthankful for the great deal of help i have received here, and the time people have put in, to doing so. nor did i mean to say that i felt anyone was shoving their values down my throat.

3. in stitches

thanks! looking great yourself, SB.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I went from
    wouldn't wear it
    to
    different shirt / square
    to
    yea - I like that

5. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

They definitely rumple a bit but not too much with a stiffer interlining.

I don't mind the rumpling and think it tones down the pretty wide spread that I prefer to the point that it makes some sense with a softer suit.

Ethan Desu posed about the soft fused collar on his blog (having trouble finding it) but it looked good.

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member

Ah, ok - then I agree. Tie was looking black on my monitor.

7. in stitches

+1. thanks for the clarification, SB.

8. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

some good stuff today...hopefully I don't ruin the streak

Tried this combo a few weeks ago, which I thought was pretty safe:

[​IMG]

So figured I would try the same thing today with a slightly bolder shirt (small scale white/red checks). Idk why the tie looks so shiny in these pics, it doesn't look that shiny to me IRL.

[​IMG]

I'm wearing the same jacket/tie/square in both pics and they were taken in the same place with the same camera....I must have taken the pics at different times of the day so that the sun affected each pic differently. The first pic is more true to the jacket's actual color

Are either of these working?

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member

10. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

^ The jacket the gent on the left is wearing is just plain awesome. Pattern, colours and cut.

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member

Nothing wrong with these in terms of taste, but the tie needs some cojones in its structure. There's no there there.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  12. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Tie is Panta so I blame Ed. :happy:

But you're right, I agree. I just used a standard FIH knot, so I think I'll try a double FIH next time with this tie.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member

14. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

I feel this belongs. Please disabuse if not true.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  15. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

Crosspost, good taste?

[​IMG]

Texture close up:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. in stitches

clap - i think that is great.

17. in stitches

Not sure if classified KISS, am i still doin it rite?

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Speaking of, it's sad that he seems to have abandoned his own nice creation over here. His (and other's) critique would be most welcome.

As for the tie question, I think I've come to prefer lighter, maybe even slightly 'flimsy' ties, even though most conventional wisdom I've come across (at least pre SF) seems to suggest a quality tie should have some heft and body. I like the louche feeling of it - goes well with a softer collar, I think. For all I know it may well be inappropriate for CBD, for those that care about that.

19. forex

forex Senior member

Stitchy, that looks much better than combination with a green shirt and navy pants. I hope that pants are not navy here.

20. in stitches

thanks, forex. pants are gray, i guess i would say charcoal in shade.