• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My philosophy on buying stuff is that you never really find the best stuff when you're looking for it. You usually stumble upon stuff you like, and you should just buy that stuff right then. Going "shopping for XXX" has never yielded the best results for me.
That said, I just took a quick look at Drakes and Capelli's sites and here are a few that I would wear (if I didn't have similar ones)

The first one actually falls into the "stumbled upon something I like" category so I just bought it. Thanks for enabling ! Third one, I bought from NSM a while ago and wear often.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about getting the third one a couple weeks ago. My taste must be awakening!
lol8[1].gif

Fourth one I don't really like. All others look great.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

:fu: i can never win. i really thought i had it with this one! ill take a pic when it arrives in more regular light and see if looks any more subtle.

You have it with this one.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In bad taste but not featured in this photo: my penny loafers. Casual Friday.

Last edited:

CaymanS

Reaction score
29m409c.jpg

Question for the Men of Taste - other than the obvious (white linen PS), what might work with this combination? I stuffed a few different patterned, silk squares at home (none of which were satisfactory) and then had to rush to a meeting so I went ahead and left the breast pocket naked today, but I was wondering what might be an obvious match (unless the answer is 'white linen PS,' which is my go-to anyway). Thanks in advance.

CaymanS

Reaction score
@lufty - good. You're at your best when you're doing the classic East Coast thing ... which raises a question ... why are penny loafers in bad taste with this outfit(?) You can't get much more classic than that(?)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Friday...

IMG01184-20120907-1014m.jpg

IMG01185-20120907-1015m.jpg

CaymanS

Reaction score
@ GDL I think a BD collar is optimal when there's no tie. The collar in your photo looks like it needs a tie. The pattern matching is outstanding as usual.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@ GDL I think a BD collar is optimal when there's no tie. The collar in your photo looks like it needs a tie.

I am VERY comfortable wearing a non-BD collar without a tie. This is one of the groupthink rule that I just won't subscribe to. Just like I will never wear a BD collar with a tie to look more eyetalian.
is that a 2 button collar OCBD :wow:

nope

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gdl, deets on shirt and SC. also, do you ever button th etop, and if so, do you find the 2 button set up to be a bother/difficult to button.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See above signor eduardo morello

gdl, deets on shirt and SC. also, do you ever button th etop, and if so, do you find the 2 button set up to be a bother/difficult to button.

Shirt is Udeshi and has often raised eyebrows here because of the hashed stripes. SC is NSM, cloth is Dormeuil Scottie Derby

Not sure I understand your question about buttons - I button both collar buttons if I'm wearing a tie - and I don't find it difficult

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

It's Friday...
IMG01184-20120907-1014m.jpg

IMG01185-20120907-1015m.jpg

Personally not a fan of the two button collar, but I do like how it visually accentuates the higher collar stance. Hard to tell from this angle, but it appears as if the gorge on your jacket is pretty high. I find a higher-sitting collar a necessity when one is wearing a high-gorged SC. That fabric is also teh ****.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads