whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Burton

Burton Senior member

You and are in much closer agreement. If there is a raison d'être for this thread it is to engage in a discussion, as it relates to men's clothing, of what is and is not good taste. It started out well and some of the misses have added as much value as the hits, but affectation is never in good taste. If we are going to make mistakes can't they at least be our own?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

2. Burton

Burton Senior member

I like the tie and shirt but the knot (despite being quite tight) is too large. The jacket, after being pulled from the deep recesses of your closet, should only be worn by a woman, who is otherwise naked, waiting for your return. If that situation is unlikely to occur--burn the jacket.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I dislike that pocketsquare. Or any checked or polka dot PS really.

Everything else is nice.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This. No hate taken. The crowd here has a different style than I do and we agree to disagree on some things. Im quite happy dressing the way I do and accepting critical advice when its relevant, but my style and dress are markedly different from the gents who frequent this thread. I don't need to cross post here for approval, my presence here is large enough that I will find valuable input and advice where ever I post (once I sift the bullshit). :)

Ed, I appreciate this.

100% spot on.

I was going to take the test, but Im not spending $30 on it.

FWIW, your words are very kind, thank you. Im happy you found SF because of the pocket whale, and I hope your experience here is fulfilling.

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Then...get a collar that doesn't have buttons and buttonholes?

6. unbelragazzo

knot is too wide and too squat/short IMHO. Whether or not the jacket could ever be worn, certainly not with this tie. Probably not with this shirt either. And if a jacket can't be worn with a solid light blue shirt, well...

7. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Thanks.

But we'll have to agree to disagree... it's one of my favourite.

8. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

One man's affectation is another man's style. This day and age a pocket square or a bow tie can be considered an affectation.

I would like to see this thread be more curated by the original creator(s). As the amount of people who add their opinion increases, the more bland and useless the thread becomes.

9. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Suits by Patrick Johnson?

10. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Yep.

11. Withaque

Withaque Well-Known Member

I couldn't find my white linen square, or i would have used it, probably with a solid tie.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

12. Withaque

Withaque Well-Known Member

I didn't get the pic hosted properly. I will try to repost later.

13. tactical1

tactical1 Senior member

[​IMG]

14. knittieguy

knittieguy Senior member

Is this the consensus here?

This isn't my favorite jacket or anything, but I find it odd that a traditional gray/black houndstooth sportcoat, like the type you might have seen on William Holden or Bing Crosby, is now considered in bad taste. I seem to recall that Nicholas Antongiavanni fellow advising that classic houndstooth is appropriate attire. And while the tooth pattern here is undoubtedly larger than one would desire on a suit, it's about normal size (actually smaller than many I've seen) for a sport jacket, and can hardly be called garish, especially when paired with a solid blue shirt and navy tie. I wouldn't wear it to a funeral or anything, but if you had said it was boring and too 1963 I'd actually understand the criticism better.

I certainly don't mind critiques (that's the point of posting isn't it?) and I recognize that if you have to try and defend an outfit, then there's probably something wrong with it. But this does make me think that there really can be no universally accepted standard for good taste, at least without context. I've seen other outfits get dismissed here even though they look like they're right out of Apparel Arts or Gary Cooper's closet.

Maybe I just do not grasp Mantonian principles and the point of this thread.

Ah well, I bear no ill will and will not intrude any further.:confused:

15. unbelragazzo

Is black traditional for houndstooth? To me it's a formal color scheme on an informal garment. Black and white houndstooth belongs on a tie IMHO.