whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

NORE, this one?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

I get the jacket isn't in taste with what most people like in this thread but I do enjoy the jacket...I understand that. However, I think a blue shirt would be too "matchy" or am I completely off on this? I have worn a pink shirt with this before and I did enjoy that look. Will try again next time! thanks for the feedback.

3. in stitches

umm, maybe too late for that first part. ;)

as noted, i much agree with the second part. :)

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

white is too stark. It's definitely wrong with the tie. White linen or something textures might work with a DB collar but you'd still need a different tie.

Blue shirts are never "matchy" with blue jackets because the shades should be completely different.

5. scoredtx

scoredtx Active Member

x-posted from Peacock thread 8-22 where it was deemed insufficiently peacockish with a suggestion to post it over here (which does cause a certain adrenaline rush).
    [​IMG]

6. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think SF can use an edited thread in contrast to WAYWRN. The amount of work it takes to do makeovers on every thread is what seems to burnout constructive posters. If a poster's pic get deleted they learn something. They are always free to post it elsewhere. My opinion is that good classic examples are getting more and more lost among the blogger style posts. This thread could be a good home on SF for that style of dress.

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I agree with Manton on the shirt. Another possibility is a subtle pattern, like maybe a pencil stripe in a fairly muted tone. The ground can still be white, but it doesn't have the starkness of a solid white. More texture still better.

8. Manton

I don't love the jacket, IMO summer jacektings are VERY hard to get right and I've only ever liked two books in my entire life. However, it is accessorized well.

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Tie is too dark relative to everything else IMHO. Victory square FTW.

10. in stitches

i think though, GDLs thread is really already set up for that. he already said that he will gladly insta-delete posts that arent up to snuff, and he done so. there is less discussion there, or expectation of critiques and learning that way. its just swim or sink.

posters can put things there to see if they pass, and if they dont, they will be gone, and we will be left with a collection of the top "good classic example" fits for people to see, and learn from in that way.

i think the momentum of this thread is already not styled that way, and it provides another way to learn from posters with extensive knowledge, through critiques, and harsh criticism of the bad fits.

just my opinion.

11. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Agree on both counts, the two blue shirts I have are somewhat similar in tone so I will try to get one a little lighter or darker than I have now. In regards to a subtle pattern, I have worn this with a micro check in light blue, maybe that would have been a better choice. Will look into pencil stripes as I would like something like that. The other possibility was a navy mirco graph check with this tie. The base is white though and maybe still too stark.

FWIW I think I humbly don't think my fits are a disaster, just need some fine tuning. Thanks for the feedback gentleman.

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

basically, what i proposed to gdl. thank you for picking it up. cheers

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

pic is a little over a year old, but I wanted to see thoughts on if this was/is tasteful....peak lapels might be over the top (are peaks ever in good taste? I've been following this thread and don't think I've seen any), and tie might be too close in color to the suit (maybe would work better with a darker fabric). And to nitpick, my white linen square could have been angled better. I'm open to any other criticisms.

[​IMG]

14. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior member

Maybe dark brown grenadine?

15. Manton

the lapels are too much, IMO. The larger problem is that the look is washed out. That tie needs a darker suit or else that suit needs a darker tie.