1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Distinguished Member

I guess it is a war since there's a commandant involved. But that may be a typo. If the intended word is commandment, then the rule is based in religion and, therefore, highly principled. I must say, however, that I am unfamiliar with the 11th commandment as I get the Word from the Old Testament, otherwise known as Apparel Arts. There, solid silk squares are blessed, e.g.:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

gdl is always well turned out. I find his combos simultaneously sedate and surprising.

smaller and more discreet patterns seem to be a safe path to 'good taste' at least for me. as one who doesn't have a huge wardrobe of shirts/ties, I tend to go for small patterns that sorta look solid. it's not really adventurous or creative, but I know I won't totally blunder too bad by mixing patterns.

also, whnay, you left a sleeve button undone. :devil: j/k

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes, my squares are generally either plain (often beige), small-scale patterns (ginghams, dogtooth, dots, etc..) or moghul-like. Where we diverge here is that I do not subscribe to the different-scale theory between tie and square. I believe that guideline only applies to juxtaposed items (shirt/tie, shirt/coat, coat/square) where this can have a jarring visual effect. To the contrary, I like similar scale patterns that are broken by a different one (see Biz.1. and Biz caz.2. for examples). I also like wearing large motif moghuls with a patterned/striped tie. Both approaches work for me - which should come as no surprise since that's what I decide to do.

Yeah I agree that one was far from ideal

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Cpt @ 113

First pic: not feeling this. Contrast this with the awesome Barbera pic of a light jacket with dark trou in another thread. Possibly if the pants were darker or the jacket lighter this would work. As it is, they are both medium hued for what they are and it doesn’t work. As ever, a dark blue tie would be better and might save the situation. The tie you have does not contrast enough. The figures look matchy and the ground is too close. It’s an OK attempt at 3-pattern combo but a solid tie would be better.

Second pic: kind of a Mad Men aesthetic here. I really don’t like white shirts with odd jackets, except in the case of a blazer worn at night. With gray, no. Blue shirt instantly solves that problem. The tie is great.

Third pic: it’s fine. Push the square down a tad. A darker tie would be better. Nothing wrong here though.

Gdl’s mega-post:

1. Don’t like the square, everything else is good.
    2. What color are the stripes in the shirt? If burg, bad. If blue, good.
    3. Very good.
    4. Tie does not move me, I don’t like geometric prints. Colors are nice.
    5. Not crazy about the tie but overall it’s nice
    6. Very good except for that damned square (again)
    7. Wretched jacquard shirting; tie and suit a bit close in tone, make the suit light gray and it’s great.
    8. Good
    9. Tie & square too matchy.
    10. Good

I like all the biz-cas pics, especially the last jacket, which is gorgeous.

Nay @ 129: better. Really good actually. But the square doesn’t work. I would reserve that square for combos that are otherwise super-sedate and that need some pop. As it is, you already have plenty of interest, a white square would be better. Button your goddamned sleeve.

Levi May @ 135: Colors and patterns are fine. Push down your square to show less. Your shirt collar is not working for you. Looks too tight and the points are not long enough. That’s a high collar band, which is nice, but the points need to be long enough to reach down and touch your clavicle.

Unbelragazzo @ 136: But for the sucky square, everything is nice. Foo will tell you it’s too boring, but it is in good taste.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

This is boring, but in good taste.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Yeah, shirt and tie are already pretty amped up, so the square pushes the whole toward the garish.

Agree with the gdl love. Even when he's wearing something I wouldn't, I usually appreciate what he's doing.

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Sucky because of the fold or just sucky? I think the fold is shitty in that pic, but I still like the square. Since you didn't spank me too hard, here are a few more, the first featuring the sucky square, and some more adventurous pieces, perhaps not in good taste.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

^^

I don't like the first two ties and a cream jacket is hard to pull off.

I found some old pics (with dreaded pocket squares :eek:), man I have gained a lot of weight :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ctp120

ctp120 Senior Member

Since gdl opened up the door for casual tailored outfits, I'll offer this one. I'm purposefully not posting tweedy-patterned-coat-with-gray-pants-and-light-blue-shirt-and-solid-navy-tie pics or navy-or-gray-business-suit-with-blue-solid-or-subtly-patterned-shirt-and-soporific-navy-business-tie pics because we all know they're tasteful. I'm more interested in how far we can push past safe before we diverge from tasteful, which is why Parker's comment about gdl being both sedate and unexpected rings true as to what makes his outfits exceptionally good.

[​IMG]

Detail:
    [​IMG]

10. TM79

TM79 Distinguished Member

It's safe but I like it. I really like dark maroon/burgundy ties. What type of square would you have used instead?

11. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I am sympathetic. Sometimes, I forget to button the buttons on my fly.

12. mafoofan

Oh, I was just echoing Manton's prediction of what I would say. I don't think I'd necessarily change anything, though I'd like to see pattern at leas on one more element. Triple solids bug me.

13. eg1

eg1 Distinguished Member

This plus eleventy-billion.

Interesting -- I start with the trousers (which dictate socks), then shirt, then tie, then coat and finally shoes. Obviously suits mean step 1 is also step 4.

14. ctp120

ctp120 Senior Member

Like Ed said, #1 coat is a tough task, and this doesn't overcome that difficulty. I don't like the tie at all. #2 would be be fine with a regular spread collar, sufficiently high with longer points and the right amount of tie space. #3 tie looks too business-y to me (better for a worsted wool suit), and I don't like the pocket square fold. Shirt collar is ok but bland. Very nice colors though, and I like the cloth on the shirt and suit.

Your only picture from the first post is very nice in a safe way.

15. mafoofan

Well, I think it's key to "lock down" at least one element. For me, and it seems for many, this is the shirt. Each of my shirts is wearable with pretty much any jacket or suit I can throw at it.

I do the same with odd trousers. Light grey is infinitely matchable, as long as the cloth is season appropriate.