• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whittling.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any outdoorsmen/hobbyists on this forum into wood carving? Share your advice, pics of your work, tools (ll) etc.

I just got into this hobby, very relaxing. I'm using a Buck 112 that I found on the street (and was hopefully not used in a murder). It holds a nice sharp edge and I like the wood handle, but it's a little big for detailing, anyone have any recommendations for quality small blades?

My first project is a wood chain, hopefully will turn out like this:

But so far looks a bit ****. I'm using a pine wood derby car model, the store didn't have any basswood, lol. I will upload pics when I find my camera.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bam. I think this one is a dud, gonna start a new one. The links are too thin. And this pine is a *****.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For your first time doing this, that's not bad at all. I think a lot of beginners tend to benefit a lot from sandpaper in terms of smoothing, FWIW.

I'm not really hands-on with this stuff, but from what I've read re: carving, basswood or linden is the usual carving lumber. Most other woods are too-coarse-grained or too hard.

FWIW, I think aromatic cedar is kind of soft and reasonably easy to deal with, but I'm not a carver.

If you can get to a woodcraft they have a number of carving tools - look for a chip carver if you want detail and intricacy.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Thom, Part of what drew me to whittling is how inexpensive it is, though I suppose I can make it pricey by buying top of the line tools for every situation. :laugh: Nobody else?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply Thom, Part of what drew me to whittling is how inexpensive it is, though I suppose I can make it pricey by buying top of the line tools for every situation. :laugh: Nobody else?

Oh, it's still inexpensive, relatively speaking.

I may be wrong, but it always seemed to me that older tools were generally made of better steel - perhaps you can snag an old Wostenholm pocket knife for a reasonable amount. They made great razors, back in the day.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've wanted to get into it. Where do you source the wood?

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some quality wood from Michael's, a craft store chain. Most craft stores and hobby stores will be a good source. I'd avoid the big home improvement places, unless you wanna saw down massive pieces.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics of my new project, a ball trapped in a cage. Now it looks like an egg in a cage, but I have the basic idea down. :laugh:

Thoughts for the future:
Wear a finger guard!
Get a gouge, I used the knife pictured and 100 grit sandpaper only for this project, and it was hell.

imunique

Reaction score
Oh, it's whittling, not whistling...

FWIW, I think you have done a great job there! My uncle is a carpenter and he makes desks and tables and beds.

What you do is new and relaxing, and mostly for fun I suppose. Keep it on!

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid I would make spears and stakes, then paint them.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That's not bad, BP. A few thoughts, and you may know some of this already:

One - how sharp is your knife? your endgrain cuts look a bit ragged, your knife should be able to make clean slices of endgrain. You may need to re-hone as you go, if it seems you're having to muscle the knife through.
Two - when I chop mortises I usually stay just inside the waste line until I hit full depth - then I make the defining chops and (hopefully) get clean edges. It looks like you're inside on some areas and outside on others.
Three - pay attention to the grain - wood tends to tear out along the grain lines so you want to plan your cuts carefully to avoid tear-out.

Good luck and take your time.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, Thom. I definitely could re-hone the blade. Do you have a specific sharpener you swear by? Do you use a whetstone?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I use a King brand (I think it's IceBear now) 1000/6000 Japanese waterstone: they cut quickly but dish like mad when you have a curved blade I use it for cooking knives, razors, and carpentry tools. After that, I'll use a leather strop pasted with either green chrome or Flexcut gold (for razors and chisels/plane blades)

That said, there are many roads to Rome. Oilstones, DMT diamond stones, sandpaper - all of that will get you a good edge with the proper technique.

One sharpness test I use is to shave a part of my arm: that's plenty sharp enough to slice end-grain and should hold an edge for a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads