Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Whither Vox?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Montauk, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Mike

Yup. As do I- no hate just observations.

@ In Stitches your point is well made ... Except these are opinions about a poster's online personality, not his knowledge, and thus are IMO equally valid. Clearly many SF veterans seem to revere him for great pics and good advice, which was not in evidence more recently, hence some newer members not being so impressed.

In any event I find hero worship by any grown men a bit nauseating and some of the admiration shown on this board definitely crosses that line. I would also say that I've met quite a few people IRL through online forums (fora?) and no matter what their online personality may have been like they have all seemed to me to be solid citizens. Anyway I've had enough of this, time to let it go.

2. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I've been looking at this board for about a year on a fairly regular almost daily basis. In that time I might have seen two actual photos of him (was that really him in the wayfarer type shades and unbelievable vampiric black dye job?) and struggle to recall him posting any genuine well meant advice. What I do recall is what I posted above. He was the Dennis Miller of this board. In so much hurry to demonstrate his hilarious wit and self perceived intelligence any value in what he had to say was lost. Whenever I saw him contribute to a thread it almost always caused me to groan inwardly and very rarely offered anything germane to the point being discussed. I have to wonder if before my time he was some kind of maven who drowned in jealousy once a significant chunk of igents found their way to this board and were able to approach and even eclipse his own level. Now I do miss lufty and his vintage choices, and haven't seen many of TC's classy cuts lately.
    Vox used to be a prolific poster, and there were several outstanding pictures of his outfits and style. Unfortunately, just before F. Corbera made an appearance, he pretty much took down all his pictures. I believe Steed's image gallery still contains some of his pictures (the ones with his face masked out). Say what you will, the man had keen wit and his intelligence was anything but "perceived". I particularly miss those posts when the likes of Vox would expound upon interesting trivia or adventures, sartorial or otherwise, accompanied by photographs (the Swiss Army Suit or the anatomy of the 7 fold tie come to mind). Moreover, Vox had some wonderful insights into certain places and times in our society (the gilded age comes to mind) that was very educational. It was far from hero worship -- it was admiration, plain and simple, of a well dressed and well rounded man with the intellectual prowess to match. It's not often that one stumbles upon such. At least not on these boards.

3. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

He could be a good poster, but I can't say I miss him shitting up every thread with lame jokes.

+1

Never found his comments helpful in any way..

4. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

Truth -

What goes up, must go down.

You gotta be like a lasbar or rss around these parts to sustain.

- M

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

Yeah, that's why I don't like seeing the same Allen Edmonds joke in every thread.

They say the secret to comedy is knowing when to stop.

lefty

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Speaking about weird phenomena, you must be a stranger to this guy we call "Foo."

definitely

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know people are going to knock me down for this, but, I definitely like Vox's posts and his style. Most of us can go on and on about the quality of his posts and knowledge and extensive outfits and how much he has helped us improve our style, or fits or whatnot, but I think threads like this, to some degree, is why he isn't here (as much) anymore. It isn't offering anything to many of the big guns anymore, and many of them are jaded by these dick sucking threads. It is good and fun from time to time, the dick sucking, but this place can be as bad as any other celebrity gossip site. Does this thread really need an undying 8 page circle jerk? Can we get back to the roots?

[​IMG]

8. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I do like that Rosewood Tele that George is playing. ^^^^^^^

Mike

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Yeah, that's why I don't like seeing the same Allen Edmonds joke in every thread.

That's actually quite a once looking boot but is there any other footwear brand than Allen fucking Edmonds? Can you lot not just set up your own sub forum rather than bringing AE shit up on a daily basis? Am I the only one around here that's sick to death of hourly AE threads popping up?

26 January 2011

[​IMG]

Today? A tie.

Well done.

- B

10. forex

forex Senior member

Yay! Vox is back,Vox is back!! Please don't leave us,we love you!

11. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Vox, ditch the ad acta avatar. I've got your new one right here:
    [​IMG]

Mbreinin, what about George's coat? Invertere?

12. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

I do like that Rosewood Tele that George is playing.

Lovely, but must weigh an absolute ton.

13. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Speaking about weird Foonomena, you must be a stranger to this guy we call "Foo."

FTFY

14. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Vox, ditch the ad acta avatar. I've got your new one right here:
    [​IMG]

Mbreinin, what about George's coat? Invertere?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Lovely, but must weigh an absolute ton.

I have played them..they are not featherweights. [​IMG]

Mike

15. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member