1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Whither The Country Suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pejsek, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

There is a gorgeous, vintage, bespoke corduroy suit on eBay. If I was a 42R it'd be mine, and the revival would be in swing these parts.

Regards,
    Huntsman

2. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

There is a gorgeous, vintage, bespoke corduroy suit on eBay. If I was a 42R it'd be mine, and the revival would be in swing these parts.

Regards,
    Huntsman

Link?

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Thanks, PB, that's the one.

EA -- sorry, passed it along the way and didn't save the link.

~ Huntsman

4. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Pejsek, that first suit of yours is absolutely sublime. It's awfully hard to find things like that...glad you did.

To be honest, one of the reasons tweed suits are a rarity is because there is other clothing that just simply performs better in the great outdoors than tweed. I don't go hiking to look good; I do it to hike. Hiking and climbing are much simpler in performance gear designed to keep me dry and warm and easily cleaned (yes, I've cleaned mud out of tweed more than once, and I hope never to do it again). Regardless of how much we love suits...and Lord help me I love them!...they just aren't the best option for a rigorous outting. A liesurely stroll through the trees, sure, but nothing else.

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I love country suits, and hope to add more of them to my wardrobe soon. Because my office is informal, I would be very out of place in a "city" suit. A "country" suit is just casual enough to pass. Plus they fit with my style better.

Of course, wearing them in NYC in the winter with the overheated subway platforms is not always ideal.

6. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I know, there aren't a lot of places to still wear the country suit. Sigh. Everytime ive worn one to a family Thanksgiving get together my cousins expect me to play football or something with them.

It's a chaning world, some things for the better and others for the worse.

7. Professor Branestawm

Professor Branestawm Member

Hello, new member and all that sort of thing.

I picked up a nice green harris tweed suit over the summer, so am looking forward to giving it some decent outings now that the weather is deteriorating enough to make wearing heavy fabric an option. In Cambridge at least tweed is still alive, though only occasionally seen in full suit form. Warm wool seems to work well in the damp.

I know someone who went mountaineering a few years ago in Scotland wearing tweed. He said that it was more breathable than his goretex (no beads of moisture freezing on the inside) and once the sweat that had worked its way to the outside froze it formed a nice windproof barrier. Similarly, I wear a submariner's style jumper when climbing in cold conditions, because I find it lighter, less bulky and less water absorbant than similarly warm synthetic fleece.

8. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

There are few things cooler than a three piece tweed to me. (Or hot, technically, if you attempt to wear one in Florida's fall.)

9. Charley

Charley Senior member

This one on eBay that seems to measure as a 38/39. This thornproof tweed is in a great pattern for a more causal suit, IMHO. Nothing like it to be found OTR here in the US. Is there a name for the patern?

ASTONISHING VINTAGE BESPOKE THORNPROOF TWEED SUIT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is there a name for the patern?
    Russell plaid.

11. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

The photos and illustrations are lovely.

However, on a practical level of business dress you have to assess your kind of business, your position, and your customers.

The natural habitat of the tweed suit is the country. However, it can be worn in the city on select occassions. The tweed suit worn in the city is associated with the wealthy and old families who have country homes or estates. In some businesses you would get a sneer or sideways comment if you wore some of these tweeds. In other businesses you would look smart.

For example, I think that a Russell plaid suit would spell doom for an assistant bank branch manager, an insurance claims representative, or an associate starting out at a big corporate law firm. A tweed suit in these conformist environments can endanger your career.

However, you could wear these plaids if you were in the so-called creative fields where the role models have an image of wealth and old family. I refer to publishing, non-profits, art galleries, museums, academia, clothing stores, jewelers, and other retailers catering to upper level incomes.

12. novalis

novalis Senior member

Well, here are two tweed suits that I've picked up in the last year or so. First up is a suit by Davies & Son tailored back in 1974.

[​IMG]

Next is a really interesting suit by the long-defunct Donaldson, Williams, & G. Ward of Burlington Arcade, also from the early 1970s.

[​IMG]

Great pictures, esp. that wonderful Davies suit. I'm particularly intrigued by the curved or convex collar on the Donaldson. Traditionally, that part of the collar is straight, no? Perhaps there is a specific term for the curved collar (akin to crescent pockets).

Also love the suit & trouser hangar on the Davies.

13. thinman

thinman Senior member

A local discount store has had a RL Polo 3-piece tweed suit in a classic pattern, an olive minicheck with a rust/red overpane, in my size for the past month (it's similar to the last picture in Lucky Strike's post, but the overpane is much more muted). Since I'm an academic, I could get away with wearing the suit to work and I'd also consider wearing each of the 3 pieces as separates. Of course, I would need to tolerate some snide comments from colleagues. I'm waiting for the price to come down from $399. If it were in the blue, gray, or brown color families, I would own it already.

14. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

I finally broke down and ordered a 3 piece tweed from the Harris Tweed Shop in Scotland. I have been waiting on this one for a while, but wanted it for this Thanksgiving. Ill let you gents know how it comes out.

15. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

Well, I'm glad this thread has sparked so much interest and elicited all these wonderful comments. Apparently the country suit is not yet dead, at least in our minds!
    novalis, I hadn't really noticed the collar on the Donaldson suit until you pointed it out. Funny how revealing a picture can sometimes be. I've never really noticed that curve; I'll have to pull out some of the other Donaldson suits and see if they have the same collar construction.
    NYB, please let us know how your suit comes out. Pictures would be even better, if possible.
    While I was cleaning up the dining room the other day (don't ask!) I came across this bolt of cloth I bought a while back at the thrift store and then promptly put away. It's a beautiful tweed and there's about 7 yards of it. I think it could make a spectacular suit. I'm not going bespoke anytime soon--too much of op's bespoke in my closet--so if anybody here is thinking about having a tweed suit made but needs a little push, I'd be happy to send this cloth out at no charge. There are no tags or markings identifying the maker, but it seems to be fairly high-quality cloth and the finish appears hard enough to make pants a realistic choice. The hues are predominantly muted greens and browns, with the occasional fleck of brilliant saphire, emerald, and scarlet. I think you can make this out in the close-up. Drop me a message if you think you might be interested. My wife will be so pleased.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Hello,

WOW. I would LOVE to have that fabric. As a pass along gesture, I shall hunt through my stash and post some fabric that I was going to get made into a suit but after getting it (ebay!), realized it was not for me. Maybe someone else could use it.