• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

white tie with DJ

ctp120

Reaction score
Truth be told, a less cantankerous, nonchalant Manton is probably taking the higher road here, but as a spectator, I'm longing for the old irascible poster circa 2004. The potential rhetorical fireworks in the duel stirring have
lurker[1].gif
promise.

clubman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctp120
Truth be told, a less cantankerous, nonchalant Manton is probably taking the higher road here, but as a spectator, I'm longing for the old irascible poster circa 2004. The potential rhetorical fireworks in the duel stirring have
lurker[1].gif
promise.

Stop stirring.

ctp120

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clubman
Stop stirring.
To be fair: quit playing coy; you've done the lion's share. And I wasn't seriously trying to incite something. I meant what I said about the high road.

clubman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctp120
To be fair: quit playing coy; you've done the lion's share. And I wasn't seriously trying to incite something. I meant what I said about the high road.

I guess that it is interesting provoking reactions
fight[1].gif
; even as a small kid I once threw stones at a gaggle of geese, which then turned on me and I had to run like billy-o.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess that it is interesting provoking reactions
fight[1].gif
; even as a small kid I once threw stones at a gaggle of geese, which then turned on me and I had to run like billy-o.

This time you are throwing stones at a hornet's nest. I suspect you took umbrage at Manton's aside about Prince Philip. Fair enough, I suppose. As so often, it is a question of whose ox is being gored. Having said that, I will not have you two fighting. You are both leading experts and published authors. You are uniquely situated to have some extremely interesting discussions which I -- and possibly even the rest of the forum, not that that matters -- will enjoy immensely. We are not going to sabotage them before they get started. So say "sorry", shake hands and get on with it!
Originally Posted by Will C.
As for the white/black tie with DJ problem: in the 21st century, it seems questionable to me to declare it 'incorrect' to wear a white bow with DJ. If it was accepted for a good half-century before the 1920s, it seems nothing more than a matter of declaring your historical allegiances. One man has Edwardian taste, the next man has mid-century taste.
Oh, goody! I can break out my frock coat and knee breeches. No, wait! Even better! My toga! They really look quite dignified, when you think about it.

clubman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
This time you are throwing stones at a hornet's nest.

I suspect you took umbrage at Manton's aside about Prince Philip. Fair enough, I suppose. As so often, it is a question of whose ox is being gored.

Having said that, I will not have you two fighting. You are both leading experts and published authors. You are uniquely situated to have some extremely interesting discussions which I -- and possibly even the rest of the forum, not that that matters -- will enjoy immensely. We are not going to sabotage them before they get started. So say "sorry", shake hands and get on with it!

Oh, goody! I can break out my frock coat and knee breeches. No, wait! Even better! My toga! They really look quite dignified, when you think about it.

I tend to agree. I already said "Pax". Anyway, I don't want to prejudice the possibility of a future joint publication.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to disparage PP, whom I have nothing against. I'm sure he is a fine husband, though from what I have read he was not a great father. I usually side with him when leftist cranks get all upset over one of his comments. But he's not really a style icon. And to say that a good chunk of the English public finds him embarassing is just a fact. Maybe they shouldn't but they do.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I wasn't trying to disparage PP, whom I have nothing against. I'm sure he is a fine husband, though from what I have read he was not a great father. I usually side with him when leftist cranks get all upset over one of his comments. But he's not really a style icon. And to say that a good chunk of the English public finds him embarassing is just a fact. Maybe they shouldn't but they do.
Well, you may be correct. But you can appreciate how such a comment, even if correct, might ruffle the feathers of someone from the UK, just as making a similar comment about George Bush might ruffle some feathers in the U.S.. Sartorial criticism is fair game, I suppose, and I'm sure that Clubman would be the first to admit that Prince Charles is a better dresser than his father.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Clubman is not English, I don't think.

Anyway, citing Phillip as an example of correct dress makes about as much sense as citing GWB. Niether is a style icon and neither seems to care about it that much. And in GWB's case it's not that he's a hick. He's not. He's from an old WASP family that understands tradition. When GWB had to, he knew how to do formal wear correctly. He just hated to do it and tried to avoid it at every turn.

clubman

Reaction score
Clubman is not English, I don't think.

Anyway, citing Phillip as an example of correct dress makes about as much sense as citing GWB. Niether is a style icon and neither seems to care about it that much. And in GWB's case it's not that he's a hick. He's not. He's from an old WASP family that understands tradition. When GWB had to, he knew how to do formal wear correctly. He just hated to do it and tried to avoid it at every turn.

I suppose that I am 7/8ths Cornish and 1/8th English but the 1/8th gives me my surname. As for the rest, on GWB and 'Phil The Greek': just agree to differ.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
FWIW, PP and GWB actually like each other. They are both outdoorsy, sporty, "macho" types. I know for a fact that GWB finds the whole subject of fashion contemptible and I would not be surprised of PP does too.

clubman

Reaction score
FWIW, PP and GWB actually like each other. They are both outdoorsy, sporty, "macho" types. I know for a fact that GWB finds the whole subject of fashion contemptible and I would not be surprised of PP does too.

Phil has got my Book I because the Eccentric Club (of which he is Patron) gave him a copy.

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Very insightful. However, frock coats were not worn with knee breeches.

clubman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will C.
Very insightful. However, frock coats were not worn with knee breeches.
Clerical frock coats were and, as for the rest, I am not entirely sure that they never were but the advent of the frock coat coincided with the introduction of pantaloons and overalls, so generally they were not.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phew! That little effort seems to have sold one more book on amazon.com. The truth is that, whatever I say, here or in print, it will never meet with much US approval (even acknowledgement of its exisence, pace Will), because you have your own Holy Grails: the Flusser books (backed-up and reinforced by the likes of schmozers such as Cromps and his 'Permanent Style' WETFTI) and Manton's (of course) - and what marketing manager would dream of letting the guy in from the Other Firm? Sad but true. Shut him out and shut him up. Side-line him. Thank whatever gods may be that I am able to say (as I do), that I have done with flabby handshakes and false smiles; unfelt laughs, at unfunny jokes; in company that I'd rather avoid, at corporate functions, frequented by eager geeks, gawks and spooks in ill-fitting, shiny suits. These days; most days, I am virtually naked and all the better for it. White tie; black tie - all gorn the way of all flesh for me: for me now the scent and sound of the crashing South Atlantic Ocean and a bloody great papaya, sprinkled with fresh ginger, for breakie!

'Ta' (a ghastly term) and 'Cheers' (an even ghastlier), Guys!

Well, Nick, when you lament that your work "will never meet with much US approval (even acknowledgement of its existence)" mightn't the fact that your work is Anglocentric to point of self-parody contribute in some small measure to this state of affairs?

Nonetheless, I did enjoy both your books greatly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics