• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Tie Rules

rsum

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've started compiling a list of white tie dress code rules as I'm having trouble finding a single handbook online. Most blogs have the gist of it right but still have an error here and there in the examples. That being said, I've decided to compile my own list of white tie rules and I'm wondering if anyone can contribute to them?

Here is what I have so far:
- Coat: Black bhartiya to back of knees. Should just cover the waist coat. Buttons should be covered in same fabric of jacket. Peak lapels. Medium to large is best.
- Pants: Black bhartiya, pleated. 2 galons preferred. At least 1. High waisted held up with suspenders.
- Shirt: White pique. Regular cuff, not french.
- Studs: mother of pearl.
- Waist coat: White pique, single breasted. Should just cover the trouser waist.
- Handkerchief: White folded.
- Shoes: Patent oxford or court shoes.
- Socks: Black silk.
- Tie: White pique tie. No clip.

The best modern reference I can find:
image009-500x700.jpg

Again, anything that can be added is much appreciated. Either general or more technical rules. Thank you!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m clearly no expert. I’ve never worn white tie and doubt I ever will. A small point of order is that shirt cuffs are not ‘regular’ but are supposed to be ‘single’ ie fastened with a cuff link but not doubled over as ‘double’ or ‘French’ cuffs are like those traditionally worn with black tie. Also wing collars are optional for black tie but essential for white tie.

The single most glaring white tie error to me as an observer rather than a participant is when the fronts of the jacket don’t cover the fronts of the waistcoat so you get those unsightly white flashes of the waistcoat peeking out from beneath the jacket front. Your example above shows how to do this correctly. That pic of when Trump met the Queen illustrates how bad it can look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads