1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

White Tie on a Budget

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EriQ009, Nov 8, 2012.

1. EriQ009

EriQ009 Senior member

I will be attending a formal white-tie event before the end of year. Being that I do not anticipate attending many functions that call for white-tie, I do not wish to spend a great deal of money on said ensemble. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to source proper white-tie attire, keeping in mind the aforementioned economic considerations?

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'd try eBay/consignment shops

3. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

No question. Black and white tie ensembles are among the most rewarding things to buy used.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Agreed. I spent about two years waiting for the right size white tie ensemble before picking one up off ebay. I just had the opportunity to use it earlier this year and it was very satisfying to know I paid comparatively little for such a fine item. Now that I have it (as long as I can keep off the weight!) I'll be good to go for a long time.

5. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

The places that rent white tie ensembles often sell them too. That's probably the last places where you can find an inexpensive RTW white-tie. Might be worth considering, that's how I got mine.

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Do places that rent a proper white tie outfit even exist anymore? Most rental places seem to rent prom-wear.

7. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

I know two of them in Paris, there might be others.

8. michaelyork

michaelyork Senior member

Just curious, what sort of event is this that you require white tie?

Other than pretentious weddings, white tie is dead, or so I thought.

9. EriQ009

EriQ009 Senior member

The event is a formal fundraiser gala. White tie may not be dead, but it is certainly uncommon these days.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  10. GBR

GBR Senior member

11. EriQ009

EriQ009 Senior member

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look at eBay and some other places locally that may have what I am looking for.

As far as formalwear rental shops, I was under the impression that the quality and details of the formal dress to be found in these places was subpar, to say the least, and certainly not up to SF standards. Am I mistaken in that regard?

12. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

Depending on what you mean by "dead". In the DC area, there are at least 5-6 events that I know of - and I'm not even plugged into the DC social scene - where the dress code is white tie optional. I've been to two of these events where the majority of the men actually turned up in white tie. And these are not even superformal events, by which, I mean state dinners and such. Brooks Brothers continue to sell tails and white tie and formal white vest, which i take to mean that there is still demand for such items.