• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Sweaters

Crockett

Reaction score
I don't really see anyone wear white sweaters anymore. Are they out of fashion? I recently found one and I really want to wear it. I think it looks pretty good with a pair of jeans.

jasonpraxis

Reaction score
All white? Is there a design to the knit? I have a white with navy stripe tennis sweater in a cable knit that I'll wear occasionally in spring and summer. I've found that it works well with medium-blue jeans or a medium-to-dark khaki chino, something casual or athletic, a la Strangers on a Train or Chariots of Fire. My concern is always with the shoes, which I tend to match with the slacks and not the sweater or shirt. I'm sure this isn't entirely correct, but I'm not sure what the dominant and accent colors should be in this case.

Crockett

Reaction score
All white? Is there a design to the knit? I have a white with navy stripe tennis sweater in a cable knit that I'll wear occasionally in spring and summer. I've found that it works well with medium-blue jeans or a medium-to-dark khaki chino, something casual or athletic, a la Strangers on a Train or Chariots of Fire. My concern is always with the shoes, which I tend to match with the slacks and not the sweater or shirt. I'm sure this isn't entirely correct, but I'm not sure what the dominant and accent colors should be in this case.
It is all white. Actually, it is more of an ivory color. The jeans are, in fact, medium blue and the shoes I would wear them with are black ankle boots.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...it's a white sweater. If you think it looks good, wear it. You're overthinking things.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got a white/ivory cable knit cashmere sweater that looks great. I don't hesitate to wear it.

bryce330

Reaction score
I have never seen a guy look good in a white sweater, and I am pretty open-minded when it comes to dressing.

I especially can't stand those ribbed white sweaters.

Etruscan

Reaction score
What a coincidence. Today being (casual) Friday, in addition to open-collared shirt and trousers in light taupe, with dark brown slip-ons and belt, I'm wearing a winter-white (more akin to ivory than a true snowy white) double-breasted Armani cardigan (that I picked up in Filene's Basement in October). It's only 10:30, but I've already received several compliments on it.

I'm inclined to agree that a true white sweater might not look appropriate as a menswear item (indeed though occasionally encountered in cotton I don't think I've ever seen one in wool, unless a cabled tennis sweater, with stripes at the cuffs and neck). Nevertheless, the fact that I've not seen one doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't work depending upon the other garments, the time and place of the occasion and of course the coloring and personal style of the wearer. Sometimes it's good to be receptive to the unfamiliar, surely.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit Over the top there. Generally you wont get winter white in a wool, more of an Ecru, which is not bad. Cottons as posted above will get you dazzling white. And cardigans are a different league. I think that the issue in a white sweater for a guy is that its too much white , and with a cardigan you break up that wall of white that you would otherwise have with a pullover.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brian SD

Reaction score
Im going to go against the crowd here. I think white sweaters can look great in the right context. Gary Cooper wore white sweaters...

wja

Reaction score
Fabienne, you would absolutely LOVE my white angora sweater.
wow.gif

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with BrianSD.  I've always loved the look of a thick white cable-knit fisherman's turtleneck with a pair of jeans and boots. I'm buying one as soon as I get to Ireland. What's the objection to that look?

Aaron

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Fabienne @ Jan. 14 2005,11:35) http://www.soniarykiel.fr/version....nette=3
Fabienne: How is SR viewed nowadays for the womens and men's line? Â How has pricing changed over the past year with the stratospheric rise of the euro? Â I sell a ton of it for the kids, but pricing this year especially became ridiculous.
Sonia Rykiel has reduced her winter collections by 30 to 50% for the traditional sales that started last Wednesday in France, and will last till mid February. For example, her silk leopard dress is now only 568 €, if that's any indication. Over 30 years since the creation of SR, I've heard of a recent "come back" and she supposedly is being "rediscovered". But I don't think this to be true for France, where she has always been an "enfant cherie". The last collection I saw had notable pants for men. Clean shapes, and interesting fabrics, some almost shimmering. I said "almost", don't get scared. PS: for those who like cashmere (white?) sweaters, Lucien Pellat-Finet are currently 50 % off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads