1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

White Sweaters

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Crockett, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Crockett

Crockett Well-Known Member

I don't really see anyone wear white sweaters anymore. Are they out of fashion? I recently found one and I really want to wear it. I think it looks pretty good with a pair of jeans.

2. jasonpraxis

jasonpraxis Well-Known Member

All white? Is there a design to the knit? I have a white with navy stripe tennis sweater in a cable knit that I'll wear occasionally in spring and summer. I've found that it works well with medium-blue jeans or a medium-to-dark khaki chino, something casual or athletic, a la Strangers on a Train or Chariots of Fire. My concern is always with the shoes, which I tend to match with the slacks and not the sweater or shirt. I'm sure this isn't entirely correct, but I'm not sure what the dominant and accent colors should be in this case.

3. Crockett

Crockett Well-Known Member

It is all white. Actually, it is more of an ivory color. The jeans are, in fact, medium blue and the shoes I would wear them with are black ankle boots.

4. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

...it's a white sweater. If you think it looks good, wear it. You're overthinking things.

5. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I've got a white/ivory cable knit cashmere sweater that looks great. I don't hesitate to wear it.

6. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

I have never seen a guy look good in a white sweater, and I am pretty open-minded when it comes to dressing.

I especially can't stand those ribbed white sweaters.

7. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior member

What a coincidence. Today being (casual) Friday, in addition to open-collared shirt and trousers in light taupe, with dark brown slip-ons and belt, I'm wearing a winter-white (more akin to ivory than a true snowy white) double-breasted Armani cardigan (that I picked up in Filene's Basement in October). It's only 10:30, but I've already received several compliments on it.

I'm inclined to agree that a true white sweater might not look appropriate as a menswear item (indeed though occasionally encountered in cotton I don't think I've ever seen one in wool, unless a cabled tennis sweater, with stripes at the cuffs and neck). Nevertheless, the fact that I've not seen one doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't work depending upon the other garments, the time and place of the occasion and of course the coloring and personal style of the wearer. Sometimes it's good to be receptive to the unfamiliar, surely.

8. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

A bit Over the top there. Generally you wont get winter white in a wool, more of an Ecru, which is not bad. Cottons as posted above will get you dazzling white. And cardigans are a different league. I think that the issue in a white sweater for a guy is that its too much white , and with a cardigan you break up that wall of white that you would otherwise have with a pullover.

9. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Fabienne: How is SR viewed nowadays for the womens and men's line? How has pricing changed over the past year with the stratospheric rise of the euro? I sell a ton of it for the kids, but pricing this year especially became ridiculous.

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Im going to go against the crowd here. I think white sweaters can look great in the right context. Gary Cooper wore white sweaters...

11. wja

wja Well-Known Member

Fabienne, you would absolutely LOVE my white angora sweater. [​IMG]

12. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

I agree with BrianSD.  I've always loved the look of a thick white cable-knit fisherman's turtleneck with a pair of jeans and boots. I'm buying one as soon as I get to Ireland. What's the objection to that look?

Aaron

13. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

(Fabienne @ Jan. 14 2005,11:35) http://www.soniarykiel.fr/version....nette=3
    Fabienne: How is SR viewed nowadays for the womens and men's line? Â How has pricing changed over the past year with the stratospheric rise of the euro? Â I sell a ton of it for the kids, but pricing this year especially became ridiculous.
    Sonia Rykiel has reduced her winter collections by 30 to 50% for the traditional sales that started last Wednesday in France, and will last till mid February. For example, her silk leopard dress is now only 568 €, if that's any indication. Over 30 years since the creation of SR, I've heard of a recent "come back" and she supposedly is being "rediscovered". But I don't think this to be true for France, where she has always been an "enfant cherie". The last collection I saw had notable pants for men. Clean shapes, and interesting fabrics, some almost shimmering. I said "almost", don't get scared. PS: for those who like cashmere (white?) sweaters, Lucien Pellat-Finet are currently 50 % off.