• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Suits

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
When are these appropriate? Ever? Only if you are a Colombian drug kingpin? I have one that I got this summer from Benetton that fits amazingly well, considering its RTW, but I don't know when I could possibly use it. It was just such a good deal - about $80, marked down from near 4 or 500, and really comfortable.

I'm pretty sure I have to wait until spring, but any suggestions on white-suit etiquette and combinations would be helpful.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Fantasy_Island.jpg

I like em.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A line from one of my favorite songs:

"Until we start to make a move to make a few things right, you'll never see me wear a suit of white."

smile.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
200px-Saturday_night_fever_movie_poster.jpg

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe to recall that Tom Wolfe is known to always wear white suits.
However, it may be part of an "image" thing.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This last spring and summer I twice had to refrain myself from buying a white linen Italian trim cut suit. One was quite nice and I probably should have bought the pants at least and then matched it with a blue blazer or something like that.

I just feel like in order to where white you need to live on the coast or spend 50% of your time poolside.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my fist white linen this summer... I was happy until i noticed that white linen is quite transparent... which is not a problem per se in hot weather...

BUT... the problem is as the trousers are only front lined to the knees and the jacket is fully lined in the front... the color of jacket and trousers seem different... I carefully compared it and is the same cloth... it is just that as the trousers have less lining it is more transparent then shows in another shade on the light....

By the way I almost bought an italian white cotton suit this summer... was marked down to $200, but then I realised it would be not much oportunities to wear it... and being cotton and white it would get dirty fast and I prefer not to wash them or take them to the cleaners so often... maybe a wool one would resist better the cleaning...

what do you think about... the linen one I never used it actually in the last summer, I'll do it next for sure...

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first one I almost bought was from www.suitsupply.com in the netherlands, it was a beautiful suit, but you could see the pocket lining. So I got the black, which I am quite happy with. With a linen dress shirt you don't even sweat in 100 degree F heat.

The next was a Macy's INC suit, the price was right so I got the tan. I like both the suits very much, the INC jacket could also function as a separate.

I probably wouldn't get anything in white other than linen because you can wrinkle it up and it still looks good. If it gets dirty just hide the dirt with some more wrinkles.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a bespoke ivory suit in dupioni silk. It was made for me by WW Chan.

I wear it during the summer season. It goes well with blue linen shirts, tan shoes, etc. I don't wear it with white shirts or white shoes.

I get a lot of compliments on this suit. It's the perfect suit for dressy parties and dates with my wife. I wear it to the office on occasion.

Not exactly a "foundational" wardrobe item, but it looks great and I like owning and wearing it.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
The first one I almost bought was from www.suitsupply.com in the netherlands, it was a beautiful suit, but you could see the pocket lining. So I got the black, which I am quite happy with. With a linen dress shirt you don't even sweat in 100 degree F heat.

The next was a Macy's INC suit, the price was right so I got the tan. I like both the suits very much, the INC jacket could also function as a separate.

I probably wouldn't get anything in white other than linen because you can wrinkle it up and it still looks good. If it gets dirty just hide the dirt with some more wrinkles.

you're right... next I bought is a blue linen and I love it... sad I have to wait until next may to wear it

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White suits = Denny Terio from Dance Fever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads