1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

White Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Augusto86, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

When are these appropriate? Ever? Only if you are a Colombian drug kingpin? I have one that I got this summer from Benetton that fits amazingly well, considering its RTW, but I don't know when I could possibly use it. It was just such a good deal - about $80, marked down from near 4 or 500, and really comfortable.

I'm pretty sure I have to wait until spring, but any suggestions on white-suit etiquette and combinations would be helpful.

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

[​IMG]

I like em.

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

It's a topic discussed many times. The conventional wisdom is that a "costume" look should be avoided, though there is no universal advice on how to avoid that.

4. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

A line from one of my favorite songs:

"Until we start to make a move to make a few things right, you'll never see me wear a suit of white."

[​IMG]

5. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

6. lakewolf

lakewolf Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

7. epa

epa Distinguished Member

I believe to recall that Tom Wolfe is known to always wear white suits.
    However, it may be part of an "image" thing.

8. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Wear it with white bucks (orange rubber sole) when you go yachting.

Or you could take some style cues from Tom Wolfe.

[​IMG]

9. tiecollector

tiecollector Distinguished Member

This last spring and summer I twice had to refrain myself from buying a white linen Italian trim cut suit. One was quite nice and I probably should have bought the pants at least and then matched it with a blue blazer or something like that.

I just feel like in order to where white you need to live on the coast or spend 50% of your time poolside.

10. lakewolf

I bought my fist white linen this summer... I was happy until i noticed that white linen is quite transparent... which is not a problem per se in hot weather...

BUT... the problem is as the trousers are only front lined to the knees and the jacket is fully lined in the front... the color of jacket and trousers seem different... I carefully compared it and is the same cloth... it is just that as the trousers have less lining it is more transparent then shows in another shade on the light....

By the way I almost bought an italian white cotton suit this summer... was marked down to $200, but then I realised it would be not much oportunities to wear it... and being cotton and white it would get dirty fast and I prefer not to wash them or take them to the cleaners so often... maybe a wool one would resist better the cleaning...

what do you think about... the linen one I never used it actually in the last summer, I'll do it next for sure...

11. tiecollector

tiecollector Distinguished Member

The first one I almost bought was from www.suitsupply.com in the netherlands, it was a beautiful suit, but you could see the pocket lining. So I got the black, which I am quite happy with. With a linen dress shirt you don't even sweat in 100 degree F heat.

The next was a Macy's INC suit, the price was right so I got the tan. I like both the suits very much, the INC jacket could also function as a separate.

I probably wouldn't get anything in white other than linen because you can wrinkle it up and it still looks good. If it gets dirty just hide the dirt with some more wrinkles.

12. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

I have a bespoke ivory suit in dupioni silk. It was made for me by WW Chan.

I wear it during the summer season. It goes well with blue linen shirts, tan shoes, etc. I don't wear it with white shirts or white shoes.

I get a lot of compliments on this suit. It's the perfect suit for dressy parties and dates with my wife. I wear it to the office on occasion.

Not exactly a "foundational" wardrobe item, but it looks great and I like owning and wearing it.

13. lakewolf

The first one I almost bought was from www.suitsupply.com in the netherlands, it was a beautiful suit, but you could see the pocket lining. So I got the black, which I am quite happy with. With a linen dress shirt you don't even sweat in 100 degree F heat.

The next was a Macy's INC suit, the price was right so I got the tan. I like both the suits very much, the INC jacket could also function as a separate.

I probably wouldn't get anything in white other than linen because you can wrinkle it up and it still looks good. If it gets dirty just hide the dirt with some more wrinkles.

you're right... next I bought is a blue linen and I love it... sad I have to wait until next may to wear it

14. Teacher

Teacher Stylish Dinosaur

White suits = Denny Terio from Dance Fever.

15. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Distinguished Member

White suits are awesome.