• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White sneakers, need help (onitsukas)

Garrett

Reaction score
Hey all, its really nice to have the forums back up!

I just got a pair of Asics Onitsuka Mexico 66's, the red and blue ones (http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1284291/c/744.html) and I love them dearly. However, I just cant get the right feel wearing them.

Im used to wearing brown, black, and occasionally tan sneakers that I usualy match with my belt or a shirt color. So now when I put on these shoes with any outfit, the white stands out very heavily to my eye. My eyes are drawn to my shoes before any other part of my outfit. How do you guys wear white sneakers? What do you wear them with? Are my fears legit or should I just wear them with any old outfit?

Thanks for any help =)

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I had the same problem recently, after not wearing white sneakers for years. Honestly, I think you can wear them with basically anything--it just takes a little mental adjustment. It's still a little hard for me to wear white shoes without *any* other white on, but (especially after they're a little bit worn in) I don't think anyone bats an eye. I sometimes admire white sneakers in another dude's outfit, for example, when if I was wearing the same outfit I'd probably feel a little weird when I looked in the mirror. I concluded that it was all in my head.

Nice to have you back!

King Salmon

Reaction score
Damn, the price of these shoes keeps climbing! I remember when they were $45, when they were $60 and now they're $84. I'm glad I bought my pair at a local store for $40.

mcflip

Reaction score
they'll get dirty soon enough and you won't even notice them.

They're sneakers. Have fun with them. I just got a pair of these and they're the color of traffic cones in real life, but it's not like they're being worn to board meetings:

34248404.jpg

Garrett

Reaction score
I actually got them on sale for 50$. I think its cus I wear a 13 and they dont sell too well.

Thanks for the welcome back and advice sauce =)

Handlethevibe

Reaction score
I hate onitsuka tigers. They've got a wierd shape and look horrible with straight or tapered jeans.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Handlethevibe
I hate onitsuka tigers. They've got a wierd shape and look horrible with straight or tapered jeans.

Um, there are lots of different models, so I'm not sure how you can make this generalization. I agree that the classic 66 Tigers generally look better a wider leg jean, against intuition, since the sneakers are themselves quite slim.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
I want a pair of onitsukas badly. The only problem is that I haven't found a good color combo yet.

cerealkiller

Reaction score
i want the red and white one. but zappos don't sent them international. and i'm located in singapore. tough luck

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
I like the fencing LA models with the actual mesh metal on them... too bad the only two models with it aren't my favorite colorways.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Derek, matching your belt with your shoes isn't really a factor with sneakers. I think in general, always wear non-black belts with jeans (in fact, I like to never mix black with dark blue at all) and you're set.

ikileo

Reaction score
anyone knows where to get Astro Boy Onitsuka Tigers? Saw them at an Onitsuka Shop in Roponggi earlier this year while on holiday. Tempted to buy 'em but didn't.

their website catalog doesn't list it as well..boo hoo...

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
i cant wear anything but dark colored sneakers. i think other people can pull it off but i hate it on myself. weird.
tounge.gif

i need these:
classicsportshoes_1896_67468632

thx.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads