1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

White sneakers, need help (onitsukas)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Garrett, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

Hey all, its really nice to have the forums back up!

I just got a pair of Asics Onitsuka Mexico 66's, the red and blue ones (http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1284291/c/744.html) and I love them dearly. However, I just cant get the right feel wearing them.

Im used to wearing brown, black, and occasionally tan sneakers that I usualy match with my belt or a shirt color. So now when I put on these shoes with any outfit, the white stands out very heavily to my eye. My eyes are drawn to my shoes before any other part of my outfit. How do you guys wear white sneakers? What do you wear them with? Are my fears legit or should I just wear them with any old outfit?

Thanks for any help =)

2. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

I had the same problem recently, after not wearing white sneakers for years. Honestly, I think you can wear them with basically anything--it just takes a little mental adjustment. It's still a little hard for me to wear white shoes without *any* other white on, but (especially after they're a little bit worn in) I don't think anyone bats an eye. I sometimes admire white sneakers in another dude's outfit, for example, when if I was wearing the same outfit I'd probably feel a little weird when I looked in the mirror. I concluded that it was all in my head.

Nice to have you back!

3. King Salmon

King Salmon Senior member

Damn, the price of these shoes keeps climbing! I remember when they were $45, when they were $60 and now they're $84. I'm glad I bought my pair at a local store for $40.

4. mcflip

mcflip Member

they'll get dirty soon enough and you won't even notice them.

They're sneakers. Have fun with them. I just got a pair of these and they're the color of traffic cones in real life, but it's not like they're being worn to board meetings:

[​IMG]

5. Garrett

Garrett Well-Known Member

I actually got them on sale for 50$. I think its cus I wear a 13 and they dont sell too well.

Thanks for the welcome back and advice sauce =)

6. Handlethevibe

Handlethevibe Senior member

I hate onitsuka tigers. They've got a wierd shape and look horrible with straight or tapered jeans.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

I hate onitsuka tigers. They've got a wierd shape and look horrible with straight or tapered jeans.

Um, there are lots of different models, so I'm not sure how you can make this generalization. I agree that the classic 66 Tigers generally look better a wider leg jean, against intuition, since the sneakers are themselves quite slim.

8. weirdnjfan1

weirdnjfan1 Senior member

I want a pair of onitsukas badly. The only problem is that I haven't found a good color combo yet.

9. cerealkiller

cerealkiller New Member

i want the red and white one. but zappos don't sent them international. and i'm located in singapore. tough luck

10. derekndominos

derekndominos New Member

11. TrojanGarb

TrojanGarb Senior member

I like the fencing LA models with the actual mesh metal on them... too bad the only two models with it aren't my favorite colorways.

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Derek, matching your belt with your shoes isn't really a factor with sneakers. I think in general, always wear non-black belts with jeans (in fact, I like to never mix black with dark blue at all) and you're set.

13. ikileo

ikileo Member

anyone knows where to get Astro Boy Onitsuka Tigers? Saw them at an Onitsuka Shop in Roponggi earlier this year while on holiday. Tempted to buy 'em but didn't.

their website catalog doesn't list it as well..boo hoo...

14. shellshock

shellshock Senior member

i cant wear anything but dark colored sneakers. i think other people can pull it off but i hate it on myself. weird. [​IMG]

i need these:
    [​IMG]

thx.

15. royal618

royal618 Senior member

i want the red and white one. but zappos don't sent them international. and i'm located in singapore. tough luck
    www.shopthestates.com