• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White shirts everyday?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not sure why it is that strange. White is very bright and doesn't show any depth, particularly in bright light. If you don't have a jacket/sweater/tie/etc to break up the big, broad field of white that is a pinpoint shirt. Whites are also more likely to let your skin/undershirt lines show through and they show dirt much more easily than an off-white/pale color or pattern.
Wore a white twill shirt casually the other day and actually quite liked it, but for the most part, white looks too plain (or too uniformy) to my eye for me to just wear by itself every day.

Well yeah, but I think of white as formal and a sweater kind of casual. I think if you are just going bareshirted colors make sense.

benny

Reaction score
Your might give off this impression that you don't care about your look so try to spruce up your outfit once in a while.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never wear white shirts. My body chemistry is incompatible with them. The closest that I get for a daily wear shirt is dove gray.

atila

Reaction score
If I wear a white shirt, which is at least 1-2x a week, I do not wear an undershirt with it. It is a big pet peeve of mine to see undershirts with white dress shirt.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I wear a white shirt, which is at least 1-2x a week, I do not wear an undershirt with it. It is a big pet peeve of mine to see undershirts with white dress shirt.

But furry nipples are all good right :D

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is this okay?  It seems many of the WAYWT thread vets wear white shirts or light blue on a daily basis and do just fine (I'm talking about you Spoo).

Nothing wrong with white shirts every day, but you would have to choose your tie collection quite carefully. White enhances perceived contrasts and brightens colours, which often works to flatter combinations but doesn't always do so. In the minority of cases where it doesn't work, having other colours helps. Given the range often found in menswear, pale blue tends to complement most of the combinations that white doesn't.

In essence, by only having white shirts, you control one variable in your outfit, thus reducing potential options (slightly). Pale blue (and other colours like pink or pale lilac) enable a greater breadth of potential combinations, at the expense of greater required selectivity, and therefore greater risk of a failed combination. Which set of options you choose will likely reflect what interests you when/about getting dressing: if you want a high chance of having a perfectly acceptable outfit every time, controlling variables is one way of achieving this. If you enjoy playing around with colours and don't mind occasional extravagant failures, white shirts all the time can be boring. Nothing wrong with either approach, but it has to suit your own priorities.

Well put, Holdfast.

I was going to say - Ive focused on plain shirts lately because I prefer my ties with some stuff going on. HF just moved it up to the next level, with some extra syllables. :D

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't like with plain white shirts that if I wear an undershirt or beater it shows through :(.
I much prefer white shirts with stripes.  

If you wear undershirts that are heather grey, or better yet as close to your skin tone as possible they won't be seen through white dress shirts. But then again, outside of summer I don't think you should be wearing a white dress shirt without a jacket and tie so seeing a shirt through it doesn't factor into it. Also, your old undershirts that have turned that nice yellow-grey color don't show through nearly as much as a very white undershirt. Ask me how I know. :devil:

I am picking up a bunch of white dress shirts from my tailor tomorrow. I should post to this thread.

To be fair, I tried to branch out to checks and patterns and stripes. I still own many of those shirts, but alas they sit unused. Many of them might go to good will this week. There was never one time when I thought a patterned shirt, or mixed colored shirt looked better than a plain white. I found myself on those days in the men's room washing my hands and looking at them in the bathroom mirror with discontent. I felt like a child. I felt responsible for all that is wrong with mankind. I felt the weight of Isreal and Palestine weighing down on my world. Then I cried out to the gods!!! Damn you colors!!! Daaaaamn youuuuuuuu! Then I felt better.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My priest wears Dior Homme black suits. Sometimes he just wears the jacket with 19cm raw black denim with them. Cool guy, he is.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
My wardrobe consists of shirts in white and blue - solid whites and blue in solid or patterns/ stripes.

I do have a pink, purple and grey shirt, but they get little wear.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't like with plain white shirts that if I wear an undershirt or beater it shows through

There is a simple solution to the visible undershirt problem. Just make sure that when you wear a plain white shirt it is in a dark solid color such as navy or black.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am sure you have plenty of lime green and magenta shirts though.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HF just moved it up to the next level, with some extra syllables.

I fear this will be my epitaph, emphasis on the syllables part...
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads