1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

White shirts everyday?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by weebayohhh, Jun 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. weebayohhh

weebayohhh Active Member

Is this okay? It seems many of the WAYWT thread vets wear white shirts or light blue on a daily basis and do just fine (I'm talking about you Spoo).

2. newyorknoir

newyorknoir Senior member

I'm not sure where you work, or if this question is an inside joke, but if you wear a different white shirt every day I don't think anyone would have any problems with that. Personally, it might get a little boring, but I suppose if you mix it up with a nice rotation of suits and ties you'd be okay.. Most of my shirts are of the blue pallet, but that still gives me many options with shades, collars, and patterns (bengal stripe, gingham, contrast collar, etc.).. I just ordered this Finamore shirt in light blue and white stripe..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  3. weebayohhh

weebayohhh Active Member

Currently, I work at a pharmacy, at my college and hopefully I can start at my local hospital soon.

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

My rotation for work is pretty much exactly that - white shirts every single day. The thing about white and even light blue shirts is that they are very much part of a professional image that they are pretty much as inconspicuous as you can get. They form a sort of backdrop that no one would notice if you wear it every single day. What people do notice is everything else - your tie, suit, odd jacket/trousers etc.

There are still options with just white shirts that may let you change it up a bit that people might notice. Whether they can point it out is another story: collar type and size, shirt fabric, cuff style.

My white shirts are all a bit different: oxfords, royal oxfords, poplin, medium spread collar, full cutaway, button down, taller collar, shorter collar, barrel cuffs, double cuffs.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I wore identical shirts every day for about a decade, fench blue. my wife finally revolted and told me to get rid of my fucking blue shirts and get some others. I like the idea of white (or light blue) every day

6. reinhardgs

reinhardgs Well-Known Member

I know sometimes its all about personal preference, but white all day is boring

7. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

[​IMG]

Legens has it that the late Albert Einstein wore a white shirt to work every day so he would not have to waste time deciding what to wear and would in turn, fulfill a minimum business dress requirements.
    5 White shirts, 5 identical ties, suits socks & shoes.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  8. newyorknoir

newyorknoir Senior member

Quote:
    Brilliant man who obviously put great emphasis and had a great understanding of the value of time, but that seems a little superfluous. Einstein was of course an eccentric—Perhaps he fulfilled the minimum dress requirement, but his hair was borderline unpresentable, and apparently he only showered twice a year.. Obviously he viewed proper grooming in the same respect as his wardrobe—He did not find the time. It reminds me of Agnelli wearing his watch on the outside of his collar sleeve rather than underneath.. True, it saves a second of your time, but a little unnecessary I think.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Whenever I'm wearing a suit I wear either a white or blue shirt, and all the shirts have the same style.

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

90% of my shirts are plain white, with the rest filled with blue, pink, or striped variations of these colors.

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

If I worked in a conservative field I would simply wear white pinpoint oxfords daily.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Mostly I'm in white shirts daily, I wear the blue ones about twice a month, if that.

13. crashdummy

crashdummy Active Member

white shirts are fine, just mix up your ties you're worried about plain white all day everyday being boring

14. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Pet peeve of mine actually. Most people in my office wear black pants and a white shirt. I hate getting in an elevator to see six people dressed exactly the same and yet not in the military. I generally rotate blues or different patterns in (like herringbone).

15. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

I’ll see your solid white and blue shirts and raise you a complete and irreproachable business wardrobe. Solid navy suits; sold gray suits; black calf cap toe oxfords; black, navy, and silver grenadine ties; white linen handkerchiefs; black, navy, and gray merino socks. It is by following this minimalist prescription that I have avoided all sartorial extravagance for lo these many years.

16. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Replace that with Hermes ties and you have a conservative banker wardrobe but I like it!

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Nothing wrong with white shirts every day, but you would have to choose your tie collection quite carefully. White enhances perceived contrasts and brightens colours, which often works to flatter combinations but doesn't always do so. In the minority of cases where it doesn't work, having other colours helps. Given the range often found in menswear, pale blue tends to complement most of the combinations that white doesn't.

In essence, by only having white shirts, you control one variable in your outfit, thus reducing potential options (slightly). Pale blue (and other colours like pink or pale lilac) enable a greater breadth of potential combinations, at the expense of greater required selectivity, and therefore greater risk of a failed combination. Which set of options you choose will likely reflect what interests you when/about getting dressing: if you want a high chance of having a perfectly acceptable outfit every time, controlling variables is one way of achieving this. If you enjoy playing around with colours and don't mind occasional extravagant failures, white shirts all the time can be boring. Nothing wrong with either approach, but it has to suit your own priorities.

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wear only white shirts. Either poplin, or summer pinpoint. I only wear white linen squares too. Leaves the mind to think about other things.

19. Rolex Luthor

Rolex Luthor Senior member

Mine too. Wearing the same thing every day is for characters in Wes Anderson movies. I wear a lot of white shirts, but I also wear a lot of blue shirts, pink shirts, striped shirts, windowpane shirts. I even have a glen plaid shirt. They all look good.

20. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member