White pocket square

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Mar 31, 2005.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Is a white linen pocket square always appropriate? Regardless of shirt color? It has been my understanding that the pocket square should always coordinate with the shirt, but I'm beginning to think that white would always be appropriate. What do you think?

2. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Not a problem. You can get sets of white linene hankies with colored edges - make a nice collection and they are sorta kinda a 'tweener' in the 'one for showin, one for blowin' rule

And after Sunday's game we needed a hankie, didn''t we Hopkins? (and Alanc).

3. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Unfortunately we did. We blew so many opportunities to win that game. At least my lacrosse team stands a chance of winning a championship this year.

4. Stu

Stu Senior member

Ben Silver has a nice collection of white linen squares with colored edges. You might check it out.

5. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

A bit formal for odd sportcoats, such as a wool or cashmere plaid or check, IMO. For these, I'd stay with silk. White linen is perfectly appropriate for all blazers and suits. I wouldn't worry too much about the underlying shirt color, even if it's not blue or white but the bordered squares take care of this concern.