White pants with black shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by westinghouse, Apr 25, 2010.

1. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

I bought some white linen pants that I would like to pair with a black linen shirt for the summer. The question is can I wear black shoes with them since I am matching my shoes to my shirt? Do the neutral white pants technically tie them together? The same could be said for cream and tan colored pants. Your thoughts, please.

2. Motorsport226

Motorsport226 Senior member

I bought some white linen pants that I would like to pair with a black linen shirt for the summer. The question is can I wear black shoes with them since I am matching my shoes to my shirt? Do the neutral white pants technically tie them together? The same could be said for cream and tan colored pants. Your thoughts, please.

I don't see why not, but my choice would be a tan or medium brown suede chukka.

3. JackM

JackM Well-Known Member

I got flack for doing this on WAYWT, and I have to admit the color clash is a bit too much. Maybe it works with some outfits, but I wouldn't bet on it.

4. crinklecut

crinklecut Senior member

With white pants I like muted shades of tan, camel, brown, etc., especially in suede. The more intense shades create too much of a contrast and look a bit douchey, IMO. I think you'd be better served with a light or medium blue shirt instead of black, too.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'd prefer a shade of brown or tan.

6. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I think black shoes are too formal to match with linen shirt and pants, even though technicaly the colors match.

7. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

I also have linen pants in cream and tan. Do the same rules apply?

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I also have linen pants in cream and tan. Do the same rules apply?

You can get away with more if the colour difference is a little less severe than black/white.