• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White or not?!

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in white wingtips for spring /summer.
Does anyone here actually wear a shoe like this?
I'm usually in a spectator, but i've never worn all white.

Any thoughts? Pros or cons? And what to pair them with?

khaller

Reaction score
I'd go with a gray suit, white shirt, and red bow tie. Be sure to say, "I know you are, but what am I?" now and then for effect.
rimshot.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I have a pair of 'antique white' full brogues from Paul Smith. They get worn with med grey or light grey trousers, and various brown check/plaid trousers.

imo a pair of awesome white brogues are a necessity

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wear them with seersucker, linen and even jeans. They're sublime.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of oxfords cap-toes in white canvas cloth, I wear them in the summer with linen trousers and no socks

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
I bought two pairs of white nubucks advertised as with red soles or something like that from Amazon, but the reds were pretty brownish. One pair was a Foursome, while the other pair was a Johnston & Murphy. And they were not really white.
musicboohoo[1].gif

They are just right for use with Seersucker suits, but I really wished their soles were real red.

As for Spectator shoes, I use the black and white type for smart casual weekend evening dining, while the brown and white type seems more suitable for smart casual weekend day wear.
bigstar[1].gif

Originally Posted by designprofessor
Does anyone here actually wear a shoe like this?
I'm usually in a spectator, but i've never worn all white.

Any thoughts? Pros or cons? And what to pair them with?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor

After seeing those shoes, so am I!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are Brooks Peals, correct? I am kicking myself that I didn't buy a pair of those when they were on ebay for around $140.

Pair with light grey or white wool/linen/or cotton pants. Maybe even navy. Definitely wear with a sportcoat or suit, I think.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Those are great, dp!
thumbs-up.gif

+1! I wouldn't worry about the fragilty of white. Let them "antique" themselves naturally - just give them a good brush-up with white shoe-crem from time to time. White leather can achieve its own, very nice patina. Isn't that the patina that "dirty bucks" are known for in Trad circles?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
+1!

I wouldn't worry about the fragilty of white. Let them "antique" themselves naturally - just give them a good brush-up with white shoe-crem from time to time. White leather can achieve its own, very nice patina. Isn't that the patina that "dirty bucks" are known for in Trad circles?

Those are suede, aren' they? At least I hope they are. I wouldn't use shoe cream on white/cream suede and I wouldnt wear white shoes that weren't suede.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
Those are suede, aren' they? At least I hope they are. I wouldn't use shoe cream on white/cream suede and I wouldnt wear white shoes that weren't suede.
You may be right, on second inspection. Oh well - you can brush them, or use that chalk stuff that the grandparent generation used on their tennis shoes.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are BB / Peale in suede. about $500
I'm trying to work up the courage on these, so the input has been of help.

If I can find a deal on them I think I'll venture into new territory. I'll pair them with light pants, I'm rarely in a suit past June in Oklahoma. If anybody sees a deal in 9D, let me know.

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
Classic styling statement for nearly the last 90 years--so I too am thinking of getting a pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads