• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

white or ivory leather couch, bad idea?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm looking at an ivory aniline dyed leather sectional. I do plan to live on this couch, however i'm generally quite careful with my things. I've spilled coke on my antiqued brown leather sofa and it just washed right off without a mark, however i'm assuming an accident might not end so happily with an ivory couch. I just love the light color though... I do plan on entertaining although i'm not planning any wild parties. I do however expect that people will be drinking wine on it. Should I or shouldn't I?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have to urge caution. Even if you don't spill, furniture gradually builds up dirt. On dark leather, it's not noticeable, and even pleasing, adding to the patina. Ivory/white is just going to look dirty. Think of older white cars and how they always look a bit grungy.

If you were my grandmother and planned to reserve the sofa for when guests come over, the dirt issue would be no big thing. But if you're thinking of this as a long-term purchase, you might consider other possibilities.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do it.

The first time a child is in your home, that couch is toast. Children are programmed by nature to destroy white furniture. Also, do you really want to stress out whenever you have a party that somebody is going to spill something on your couch? Get a dark color. Dark leather will wear well and actually look better in 10 years than it did new.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
Don't do it.

The first time a child is in your home, that couch is toast. Children are programmed by nature to destroy white furniture. Also, do you really want to stress out whenever you have a party that somebody is going to spill something on your couch? Get a dark color. Dark leather will wear well and actually look better in 10 years than it did new.

Actually, when entertaining I was planning on putting a sign on it saying "I cost $10,000. If you spill something on me expect a large bill." Then everyone would be stressed! And for the kids, i have a great little room off the entry-way that I could lock them in
devil.gif

Point taken though. I think I'm gonna get something darker.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
What style is the sofa?

modern italian. I believe the brand was nicoletti.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I live in a house that is more white than not. We do not have kids. I love white sofas, but make sure that they are square and low or they will look dorky.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I lived in San Francisco my house was minimalist, black and white.
Glossy black painted floors with a white fabric covered "sofa".
No floor coverings and large original unrestored Deco posters on the walls.
People spilled and dumped lots of messy things.
If you have parties that's what's bound to happen.

Now I have an Asian, African, "natural", DIY wabi-sabi, kind of interior.

For awhile, when I first moved to Taos, I had everything out. I thought it looked arty.
Someone came by,said, in a nice way,"This looks like a museum."
My wife and I agreed to take out what the other didn't like.
After that, there wasn't much left.

Along the way there have been 50's Atomic and Victorian interiors.

My point is, try what you like. You can always change it.

I've seen alot of older white leather furniture and auto interiors.
I don't find it that attractive but if the sofa isn't blocky it would probably be okay. If someone spills a glass of red wine on it, it will wipe off.
After glassfull number ten it won't be a big deal.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
There is only one solution. Plastic wrap a la your Aunt Trudy who lived in Brooklyn.

Believe it or not someone actually asked me if I intended to cover it up, suggesting just that.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pondering white leather myself. But for a moroso "Lowland" sofa. I have a kid, and I'm looking for a "light" piece as my other furniture is either black, dark brown or red. One option you should ponder is the use of a light coloured rug instead to lighten up your living room.

yellow is always an option too:
lowland010.jpg

Time to put to good use my 'leet photoshop skillz.

!luc

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had it to do over - I'd take a Van der Rohe Barcelona chair in a rich caramel brown leather, the white leather one i like also -but being a painter - white is extremely dangerous territory.

I agree with the above posts -white is great when its new - but over time,
that grime makes it rather depressing IMO.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
If I had it to do over - I'd take a Van der Rohe Barcelona chair in a rich caramel brown leather, the white leather one i like also -but being a painter - white is extremely dangerous territory.

I agree with the above posts -white is great when its new - but over time,
that grime makes it rather depressing IMO.

I have to say that I'm a bit confused as to why the Van der Rohe and Le Corbusier stuff is so highly imitated. The designs are certainly cool, but furniture to me has to be functional before it's anything else. The Le Corbusier sofa is uncomfortable to sit in and Barcelona chair isn't the most comfortable thing either. I just don't get the obsession with them.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I have to say that I'm a bit confused as to why the Van der Rohe and Le Corbusier stuff is so highly imitated. The designs are certainly cool, but furniture to me has to be functional before it's anything else. The Le Corbusier sofa is uncomfortable to sit in and Barcelona chair isn't the most comfortable thing either. I just don't get the obsession with them.

Well, this is a good question! I tried a Corbusier and passed on it for that reason. I agree with you on the function issue. I own both a Rohe and a couple of Eames
LCW. All are comfortable, just not as comfortable as some
huge sofa designed to flop on and watch tv.
IMO, the popularity of mid century modern is aesthetic. Not to say they are not functional, because they are.

For example - people rarely sit in my Eames chair when they come over. It's lower to the ground than my other furniture and people always seem to go to lmy larger chairs. So, there it sits, looking cool, but rarely used.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's definitely a happy medium though. Those italians are pretty crafty about building-in hidden function. When I was recently looking at furniture for my livingroom, there was a van der rohe inspired sectional that was very low to the ground, had the classic tufting and same sort of lines, but there were hidden headrests that could swivel up and provide you with proper support for watching a movie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads