1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

White Mountaineering

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Dec 13, 2010.

1. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Old ones were pretty gross, too, altho there are some exceptions. I feel like the oddness of the shoes gives them a little more cred, really; willing to be weird in an area that's usually pretty tame.

2. habitant

habitant Senior member

3. dogatemyhw

dogatemyhw Well-Known Member

Context has boring buys so their WM stuff looks lame. No one ever gets the good shit!

4. catchh

catchh Senior member

Can stores order whatever they want? like is it the owners choices out of collections?

5. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Stores hire buyers to pick out what will get "bought" and then sold out of the collections. I'm sure there are plenty of cases where the owner has input as well in smaller operations.
    Keep in mind this is their first season carrying this stuff. It's a brand that is very hyped but has little distribution outside of Japan, so they bought a combination of things they know will sell easily (socks, scarves, and hats in trendy but distinct fair isle), and some outerwear that is on the conservative side. While their photos online don't do a good job of presenting the product the 2 jackets are things that will blow you away in person, even if they are a little tame by WM standards. Everything they produce has soooo many little details that just add up into an incredible product.

6. habitant

habitant Senior member

The way they represent/model their clothing is completely off from the way most people would wear it. I've glossed over many a thing on Context, while somewhere else it would look great.

7. aether

aether Senior member

so what is the consensus on mainline shirting? Size up?

8. habitant

habitant Senior member

TTS... they changed their sizing for this year.. everything is pretty true... though their knits are a bit narrow, and a lot of their shirting is very short.

9. dogatemyhw

dogatemyhw Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Context definitely doesn't do a good job capturing the details of their products and the styling is so bland it's easy to mistake White Mountaineering for a mall brand.

Like most Japanese brands, the American stores pick up the boring stuff. There's really not a US-based men's store that carries the crazy yet wearable menswear stuff. Maybe I should get on that...

10. habitant

habitant Senior member

hah, all the good stuff is in Vancouver.. Roden Gray & Haven.

11. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

This brand really let me down in person, everything that I've felt stateside that wasn't a gore-tex piece felt really cheap and shitty. Shame. The patchwork blazer is wack feeling and construction was kinda eh, seemed really frail when trying it on. Gore-tex pieces at bergdorf were nice. Overall, pass.

12. sipang

sipang Senior member

Didn't you pick up a vest ? How'd that turn out ?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  13. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

This makes me really sad

14. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

My vest is fantastic, but that's a goretex/down filled piece. The items with a substantial fabrication were worth fucking with, but that's it. All wovens feel shit, the knits feel fragile. The trousers were cool though, knit shorts too. In short, it's just another brand IMO. I'd rather spend my money on junya.

15. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

Thanks for the input Scott. I'm curious about WM but have never seen it irl. I guess I won't be tempted to order online before I have a real opinion on this brand! I'd rather spend on junya as well but no stores in Montreal have pieces that interest me :(

16. sipang

sipang Senior member

^^ Gotcha. Not really surprinsing since WM rep mostly comes from its technical pieces, the rest kinda feels like filler a bit.

17. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

I just wouldn't urge you dudes to flow out to drop stacks on this, at least not before you try it on and formulate your own opinion. Some people have varying standards/ preferences. Design is worthless without construction to back it. All I want from them at this point would be a rad shell, that's kinda it. I'm all about pieces that lack longevity, but this shit is like, 2 month timespan IMO.

18. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

Definetely agree on this. I have an obession on japanese brands and sadly I only have a few that I can actually touch and feel. Without that I can't buy anything online. The first time I felt a JW piece, I jizzed on it and had to buy it immediately (sweater from 09-10 f/w). You can't fake these feelings irl :p

19. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Quote: Good advice on ANYTHING

Disagree with Scott here a bit tho, I think knits etc. feel pretty solid--then again I don't have a closet full of JW to compare it to :)

I, too, wouldn't be buying solid basics from WM. Plenty of well-made basics on the market these days. WM's appeal is in the wild stuff.

20. jet

jet Senior member

I don't think either jw or wm feel impressive.