• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White linen French cuff shirt

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone make RTW white linen French cuff shirts? I thought these could be nice under a blazer or sportcoat, or maybe even under a summerweight suit sans tie. Just curious if anyone has seen such an animal.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never seen linen and french cuffs. It would be a weird combination too imho.

Linen is pretty casual whereas french cuffs are quite formal.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I agree with Roy. A linen shirt is an inherently less formal summer shirt. Putting french cuffs on it would sort of defeat the original purpose. Also, linen has a coarser hand than cotton, and that doens't go well with the formal french cuff, in my view.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have to have one MTM. I prefer French cuffs not because of their formality but because of their comfort. I might give it a try.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I find french cuffs hotter (two layers as opposed to one) and don't like to wear them in the summer. I have only one linen shirt, and it has barrel cuffs. I hardly ever wear it, because it is a bear to clean.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may have to have one MTM.  I prefer French cuffs not because of their formality but because of their comfort.  I might give it a try.
Question from a novice: why do you feel French cuffs are more comfortable?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh? I can't imagine the balance on a linen shirt with double cuffs and even a light interlining looking quite right. Even if you wore the shirt with matching silk knots, the look would be a bit jarring... maybe HopStud could start a new trend.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose that they are more comfortable to me because the fabric doesn't make contact with the entire circumference of my wrist. This summer, if I find an appropriate summerweight suit I will do my best to find someone to make a white linen FC shirt for me.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen one MTM, but I have one bespoke. It isn't pure linen, it is a 70/30 blend. Not the double french cuff, but a single cuff.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the 1920/30s dress-shirts in fine linen were the height of daytime elegance. It would not have been the coarse linen used today for casual shirts, but the finest semi-sheer handkerchief linen. Obviously the Great Gatsby had a supply of linen shirts:
"He took out a pile of shirts and began throwing them one by one before us, shirts of sheer linen and thick silk and fine flannel... shirts with stripes and scrolls and plaids in coral and apple green and lavender and faint orange with monograms of Indian blue. Suddenly with a strained sound Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily.
"'They're such beautiful shirts,' she sobbed, her voice muffled in the thick folds. 'It makes me sad because I've never seen such--such beautiful shirts before'" (97-98).

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suddenly with a strained sound Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily.
"'They're such beautiful shirts,' she sobbed, her voice muffled in the thick folds. 'It makes me sad because I've never seen such--such beautiful shirts before'" (97-98).[/quote][/quote]
That crying into the shirts thing has just got to stop.

FFW

Reaction score
I have a pink linen dress shirt of baldessarini with french cuffs

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
That crying into the shirts thing has just got to stop.
My wife has never cried into any of my shirts. She has cried into a bill from my shirtmaker that I mistakenly left lying out, but that was really my fault.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
In the 1920/30s dress-shirts in fine linen were the height of daytime elegance. It would not have been the coarse linen used today for casual shirts, but the finest semi-sheer handkerchief linen.
I have read in a number of sources that a lot of things went out of fashion as the world, for lack of a better term, "democritized."  The theory goes that back in the day when domestic help was much cheaper to hire, because the class structure was more rigid and opportunities for those at or near the bottom much fewer (to say nothing of other reasons), the upper classes were much more willing to wear things that were hard to maintain because, obviously, they weren't the ones who had to worry about maintenance.  It was a sign of wealth to wear light colors and such, things that had to be washed all the time.  Hence, for instance, Gatsby's pink suit.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student,Feb. 06 2005,11:24
I may have to have one MTM. I prefer French cuffs not because of their formality but because of their comfort. I might give it a try.
Question from a novice: why do you feel French cuffs are more comfortable?
Well, it's all subjective, but I personally prefer French (double) cuffs to barrel cuffs, not only are they in my opinion more conformable on the wrist and inside the jacket when one moves ones arms, but as well, they can be spruced up with different cufflinks, which can make the shirt quite dressed, whilst silk knots can make it quite sporty. Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads