White linen French cuff shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Feb 6, 2005.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Does anyone make RTW white linen French cuff shirts? I thought these could be nice under a blazer or sportcoat, or maybe even under a summerweight suit sans tie. Just curious if anyone has seen such an animal.

2. Roy

Roy Senior member

I have never seen linen and french cuffs. It would be a weird combination too imho.

Linen is pretty casual whereas french cuffs are quite formal.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I agree with Roy. A linen shirt is an inherently less formal summer shirt. Putting french cuffs on it would sort of defeat the original purpose. Also, linen has a coarser hand than cotton, and that doens't go well with the formal french cuff, in my view.

4. hopkins_student

I may have to have one MTM. I prefer French cuffs not because of their formality but because of their comfort. I might give it a try.

5. Manton

I find french cuffs hotter (two layers as opposed to one) and don't like to wear them in the summer. I have only one linen shirt, and it has barrel cuffs. I hardly ever wear it, because it is a bear to clean.

6. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Question from a novice: why do you feel French cuffs are more comfortable?

7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Huh? I can't imagine the balance on a linen shirt with double cuffs and even a light interlining looking quite right. Even if you wore the shirt with matching silk knots, the look would be a bit jarring... maybe HopStud could start a new trend.

8. hopkins_student

I suppose that they are more comfortable to me because the fabric doesn't make contact with the entire circumference of my wrist. This summer, if I find an appropriate summerweight suit I will do my best to find someone to make a white linen FC shirt for me.

9. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

I haven't seen one MTM, but I have one bespoke. It isn't pure linen, it is a 70/30 blend. Not the double french cuff, but a single cuff.

10. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

In the 1920/30s dress-shirts in fine linen were the height of daytime elegance. It would not have been the coarse linen used today for casual shirts, but the finest semi-sheer handkerchief linen. Obviously the Great Gatsby had a supply of linen shirts:

11. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Suddenly with a strained sound Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily.
    "'They're such beautiful shirts,' she sobbed, her voice muffled in the thick folds. 'It makes me sad because I've never seen such--such beautiful shirts before'" (97-98).[/quote][/quote]
    That crying into the shirts thing has just got to stop.

12. FFW

FFW Active Member

I have a pink linen dress shirt of baldessarini with french cuffs

13. Manton

My wife has never cried into any of my shirts. She has cried into a bill from my shirtmaker that I mistakenly left lying out, but that was really my fault.

14. Manton

I have read in a number of sources that a lot of things went out of fashion as the world, for lack of a better term, "democritized."  The theory goes that back in the day when domestic help was much cheaper to hire, because the class structure was more rigid and opportunities for those at or near the bottom much fewer (to say nothing of other reasons), the upper classes were much more willing to wear things that were hard to maintain because, obviously, they weren't the ones who had to worry about maintenance.  It was a sign of wealth to wear light colors and such, things that had to be washed all the time.  Hence, for instance, Gatsby's pink suit.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Originally Posted by hopkins_student,Feb. 06 2005,11:24
    I may have to have one MTM. I prefer French cuffs not because of their formality but because of their comfort. I might give it a try.
    Question from a novice: why do you feel French cuffs are more comfortable?
    Well, it's all subjective, but I personally prefer French (double) cuffs to barrel cuffs, not only are they in my opinion more conformable on the wrist and inside the jacket when one moves ones arms, but as well, they can be spruced up with different cufflinks, which can make the shirt quite dressed, whilst silk knots can make it quite sporty. Jon.