• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Kiton cotton trousers labelled dry clean only?

AAE

Reaction score
How should one wash these trousers? They’re labelled as dry clean only but can one wash at home? My black and sand isaia chinos say hand wash so I’m bit confused. Maybe it’s do with the colour or fabric nature?

Mirage-

Reaction score
Most cotton trousers that are more like dress trousers than chinos are labelled dry clean only. I believe the main thing is that the colour will change and especially fade at the edges if you actually wash them, but hard to say for sure without experience.
I haven't tried that, but I actually machine washed an unstructured knitted wool jacket (with all possible safeties, in a laundry bag, on wool cycle, low spin, wool detergent) and it came out perfectly well. Didn't even need the iron.
On the other hand I did the same with my wool dressing gown and it came out completely misshapen, which I have yet to try and iron back into shape, which may or may not succeed.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cotton pants from tailored clothing brands such as Kiton are made like tailored trousers. If you throw them into a wet wash, the interlining and stitching can shrink at different rates than the fabric, which can cause puckering or misshaping. Since cotton tailored trousers are meant to project a clean, tailored look and fall cleanly, this isn't desirable. Chinos from J. Crew are designed to be wet washed and any misshaping isn't that big of a deal because they're casual pants (sort of like how it's not a big deal that jeans shrink and stretch with time).

If you have chinos with double-needle stitching, there's a good chance they can be wet washed. If they have single needle side seams and look "dressy," and they say "dry clean only," then you should dry clean them.

AAE

Reaction score
I’ll take some photos when they arrive.

Knurt

Reaction score
How about cotton t-shirts and sweaters that are to be handwashed cold? I find myself with some of these after the sales season. Not part of my routine to treat mundane clothes like these in such a royal fashion. My urge is to throw them in with everything else for a spin at thirty degrees. A chance to take?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How about cotton t-shirts and sweaters that are to be handwashed cold? I find myself with some of these after the sales season. Not part of my routine to treat mundane clothes like these in such a royal fashion. My urge is to throw them in with everything else for a spin at thirty degrees. A chance to take?

I handwash all knitwear except for polos and sweatshirts.

Cotton t-shirts can generally be thrown in the wash, but some are very delicate and have delicate collars. I have a couple of t-shirts from Orlebar Brown, for example, that were misshapen through a wash. Consider how the collar is constructed and the weight of the cloth. The lighter the fabric and the more delicate the collar, the more I would be swayed to handwash only.

Knurt

Reaction score

Cotton t-shirts can generally be thrown in the wash, but some are very delicate and have delicate collars. I have a couple of t-shirts from Orlebar Brown, for example, that were misshapen through a wash. Consider how the collar is constructed and the weight of the cloth. The lighter the fabric and the more delicate the collar, the more I would be swayed to handwash only.

Thank you. Would shrinkage be an issue?

Shetterd

Reaction score

What do you make of the handwash programmes that a lot of machines have? I tend to use that for my knitwear (which I put in a delicates bag so it doesn't stretch too much) and then dry flat.

Mirage-

Reaction score
What do you make of the handwash programmes that a lot of machines have? I tend to use that for my knitwear (which I put in a delicates bag so it doesn't stretch too much) and then dry flat.

I also machine wash all of those in wool program, mild detergent, washing bags, 30C, low spin, reshape right after cycle and dry flat. Seems to work perfectly fine so far.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it says dry clean then dry clean. What’s the problem?

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please note that not all dry cleaners are created equal. If you are at a point of buying brands like kiton then it is a good idea to search out the best dry cleaners in your area. Even then best to make sure they understand what you want done. It will be much more pricey (and I doubt they would ruin cotton pants) but better to be safe when spending that much on clothing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Some people seem to have good results with them. I suppose if you've had good results, there's no reason to change.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads