• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Jeans

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have something white covering your arse, something isn't right.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey

cons are hot, are often worn by women ...

So are blue jeans. So are wool pants. So are v neck sweaters. etcetera.

Manly men who think that a generic neutral is just for women need to get over themselves. It's not much of a step from there to, "only women are so shallow as to actually care about their appearance". And that's an attitude for fat slob forum, not styleforum.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a few years ago when raw white jeans were a thing for the summer, iammatt posted a whimsical account of wearing them to a brunch with a bunch of women who were also wearing white jeans.

if i am going out for a summer brunch with a dozen women, i will leave the white jeans and man purse at home.

i don't think they look feminine all by themselves ... but it is worth remembering that they are much more often worn by women

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
So are blue jeans. So are wool pants. So are v neck sweaters. etcetera.

Manly men who think that a generic neutral is just for women need to get over themselves. It's not much of a step from there to, "only women are so shallow as to actually care about their appearance". And that's an attitude for fat slob forum, not styleforum.

I like the look, but I every time I see it, its on women.

Francisco

Reaction score
I like my Incotex white jeans. You might want to search around for a pair.

Dave-itt

Reaction score
I have a pair of white levi 501s and they are great. I think the cut of 501s has changed from "dad cut" to a slimmer fit, just be sure to get a pair that fit well. I bought mine last year and they are a great shape. Some things I might wear with them:

pale blue shirt
navy shirt
chestnut brown belt
sunglasses (tortoise, wayfarer style)
grey marl or navy t-shirts
navy polo shirt
mid grey rollneck
white shirt (must be very hot to pull this off, plus accompanied with sunglasses)

sockless suede driving shoes/loafers - navy or brown, even purple if you are feeling continental, though this may be a bridge too far on the other side of the atlantic
navy blazer/sportcoat
navy, purple or black knit tie (with aforementioned sportcoat and pale blue shirt)
grey tweed blazer.

I wear it them in the italian fashion. I wouldn't worry about the red tag at the back. They're jeans, levi jeans. It adds to the casual nature of the look. If you can elevate them as part of a cool, smarter look, then bonus marks for simplicity and ease. If you want to smarten them up further you could try pleating them or using turn-ups. I leave mine as is, un-pleated. My philosophy for casual dress is that if it takes too long to put something together and get dressed the look is too fussy and undermines itself. All pretensions of casualness go out the window if you look too put together, too studied, too self-conscious. If you know how colours, textures etc work, you should look at what jumps out and put things together, the process gets quicker. Be adventurous. That's the art of sprezzatura.

I put several items together (all my ties on a long rack), blazers, jeans, tousers and shirts, and look at what colour combos jump out. So, to integrate white jeans it might be

white 501s
pale blue shirt
rust brown/bronze silk tie, with a pinched dimple to bring out the texture/sheen, but otherwise carelessly tied (no tucking in the loop, no worrying if the tail is a wee bit longer, but no affected, deliberate Angelli twist unless it occurs by accident)
plain navy sportcoat
navy sockless suede driving shoes
cognac brown leather belt

i also like to use the breast pocket for something practical and usable - sunglasses, glasses, my fountain pen, or a simple white hankerchief, neatly folded. I would avoid wearing fancy/coloured pocket squares with this smart-casual outfit, unless they substituted a tie. Try to get dressed as quickly as possible. If your eye is trained for matching colour and complementing textures) you can do this process more quickly and look more natural, more casual and relaxed. Effortless style should be effortless, be marked with a relaxed demeanor that forgets what you're wearing.

Another combo:
grey tweed sportcoat
blue shirt
purple silk knit tie
purple suede loafers (they're far enough away from the tie)
white hankerchief

PS. I say forget the time of year. A navy rollneck, navy wool overcoat, brown polished boots and white jeans looks awesome in winter. If no-one else is wearing them then hey, you'll stand out more. It exudes boldness and confidence to defy rules, as long as you can make it look good and relevant! White jeans are just as warm as regular jeans, so there's no reason not to wear them in winter.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks !

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a true white can be jarring, visually, even in summer. Off-white is a better choice, IMO. Also, have you looked at Levis 514s? Slimmer fit, lower rise.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did and for some reason don't fit well. If I try 32 (my size) is way too small, if I try 33 is just plain awful
confused.gif

TRA8324

Reaction score
I bought the gap white jeans in a straight-fit. I think i'm going to have the leg tapered in slightly from the knee, but besides that they fit very well. They're more of an off-white compared to the pics on the website though. Should look good in S/S with a short sleeved gingham shirt, a D-ring belt, and a pair boat shoes.

twistoffat

Reaction score
White Jeans!

can look very well but a royal pain in the a## to keep clean

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads