White Flannel?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, May 13, 2009.

1. nioh

nioh Senior member

Unless it's extremely lightweight, white flannel sounds like an oxymoron to me. Would you wear flannel in the summer?

Why limiting white to one season? I wear white trousers year round.

2. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

I had a pair made up a few years ago. I think the flannel was from Holland & Sherry.

the white from HS i saw awhile ago was really heavy.. way over 12oz - insane weight for spring-summer

3. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

Gang, I have been talking to Fox. They are sending me their tailoring bunch soon so I'll actually have some photographs to go with my post in a week or so.

They have no stock of ecru flannels but would be happy to make some up if we can get 35m of orders together.

They have a light palomino grey in stock. I'll try to get a photograph of this soon. This might be more like what we have seen earlier in this thread, however.

Please let me know if anyone is interested in getting something made.

Thanks,

Andrew

4. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

White flannel trousers? Or are you going to be sporting the Full Wolfe?

I think just pants for now.

Paired with a navy blazer and those great G&G specs you had made a while back?

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

the white from HS i saw awhile ago was really heavy.. way over 12oz - insane weight for spring-summer

If that's all their is, I will try it. Do you remember the book?

6. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

17 ounces in fact.

7. Ambrosi

Ambrosi Senior member

Any current books have white flannel? Doesn't have to be dead white. Can be worsted or woolen. I had a spin through a lot of books today and found nothing.

BOX L.T.D. sells white flannel 18 ozs

SALVATORE

8. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Why limiting white to one season? I wear white trousers year round.
    "Winter whites" are a classic. I wear white cords etc in the winter.
    Gang, I have been talking to Fox. They are sending me their tailoring bunch soon so I'll actually have some photographs to go with my post in a week or so. They have no stock of ecru flannels but would be happy to make some up if we can get 35m of orders together. They have a light palomino grey in stock. I'll try to get a photograph of this soon. This might be more like what we have seen earlier in this thread, however. Please let me know if anyone is interested in getting something made. Thanks, Andrew
    I've seen it, it's a very nice light grey worsted flannel about 7.5 oz.IIRC. I'd be interested in pure white at that weight.
    BOX L.T.D. sells white flannel 18 ozs SALVATORE
    Cool- more "winter whites".

9. Ambrosi

Ambrosi Senior member

"Winter whites" are a classic. I wear white cords etc in the winter.

I've seen it, it's a very nice light grey worsted flannel about 7.5 oz.IIRC. I'd be interested in pure white at that weight.

Cool- more "winter whites".

yes,Cool more winter
    salvatore

10. Montauk

Montauk Senior member

A bit worse for wear, but in their day I think these were the Platonic Form of cream flannel trousers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300314687756

I love the look. I thrifted a nice rich 30's "French vanilla" pair with sidetabs in Oxford years ago; I'll forgive myself for having outgrown them, but not for having gotten rid of them.

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I wish I could fine a nice white/off-white flannel in a moderate weight (about 10oz) - I had to sell my pair of RL white flannel trousers last year because I couldn't get them taken in at the waist any further. [​IMG]

They're great for bright & sunny but not excessively hot spring/summer/early autumn days.

12. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I had to sell my pair of RL white flannel trousers last year because I couldn't get them taken in at the waist any further. [​IMG]

Your loss was my gain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

I subscribed to a London Lounge white flannel order, but I reckon it won't be ready for quite a while. And it's not really white -- more of a very light gray. I believe it will be made by Fox Brothers.

As for the winter whites, I've seen them in very heavy weights in various books. They're really white, and quite easy to find. Not so easy to wear, though.

14. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

As for the winter whites, I've seen them in very heavy weights in various books. They're really white, and quite easy to find. Not so easy to wear, though.
    ??? Why? Quite slick with brown or navy jackets IMO. Even medium grey flannels.

15. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

H&S make flannels in varying weights. The cloth I used is nothing like 17oz. If it was not H&S it was Dormeuil.