Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

White face vs. Black face

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Augustus Medici, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Augustus Medici

Augustus Medici Senior member

I decided to get a new watch and narrowed my choice down to a single watch model. However, I'm torn between two styles of the model: one is a black face with black leather strap; the other is a white face with a black leather strap. Everything else is exactly identical. I know the difference seems trivial, but it's actually had me thinking for an inordinate amount of time, so I thought I'd poll the forum here.

I originally wanted the black face, but now I'm starting to lean towards the white face considering that I wear jeans/polo about half the time and a suit the other half. I think a black face would just be too awkward and formal when wearing jeans, but the white face would be appropriate in both dressy and casual.

And now I'm wondering if the black leather strap is perhaps too much for a jeans/polo outfit? Argh!

What do you guys think?

And yes, I've neglected to mention the brand name and such to avoid any bias. This is a pure style question only!

(It's not Fossil.)

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I thought that this was a Ted Danson/Bamboozled/Sambo thread. I'm sort of relieved and sort of dissapointed that it isn't.

3. Augustus Medici

Augustus Medici Senior member

You know, it only hit me a few minutes ago that some people may mistake the thread title for something racist. I abhor racism.

Haha this reminds me of that scene in American Psycho when Patrick Bateman asks the two hookers if they've "ever been abroad?" only to quickly rephrase.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

White face, without question. Much more versatile and elegant, IMO.

5. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i disagree that's it's inherently more elegant, but it's definitely more versatile. if torn between the two, get the white one.

6. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

i disagree that's it's inherently more elegant, but it's definitely more versatile. if torn between the two, get the white one.

my feelings exactly. i tend to find black faced watches more fetching, objectively, but they are less versatile. I feel like if you get a black face/black strap watch, it pretty much becomes your black shoes timepiece.

7. wldthistle

wldthistle Well-Known Member

I'd agree that a white face is more elegant, assuming the watch is fairly elegant to begin with. I have a sporty black-faced watch and am looking to get a dressier one, and I am sure I want a white face on it. Also, if you get a white face I think it'd probably look better if you ever decided to switch to a brown band.

That being said, neither choice is wrong. It will come down to what you see yourself wearing most often with the watch, and simple preference. If you had to take either watch right NOW, which would you pick? Sometimes overthinking these things can lead to wrong decisions.

8. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I prefer white for dress, and black for chronos or ones with lots of colorful details to tune it down a notch.

9. Newton

Newton Senior member

White faced.

I thought this thread was something to do with how white and black people suit different colours.

10. drake

drake Senior member

Racist.

11. neyus

neyus Senior member

You know, it only hit me a few minutes ago that some people may mistake the thread title for something racist. I abhor racism.

Haha this reminds me of that scene in American Psycho when Patrick Bateman asks the two hookers if they've "ever been abroad?" only to quickly rephrase.

I ignored this thread for ages because I thought it was racist. I was expecting a picture of a minstrel or something similar..

12. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Bamboozled is Spike Lee's best film.

13. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Bamboozled is Spike Lee's best film.
    ++ Man Tan & Sleep and Eat [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Black dials have their origin from tool watches, divers and pilots, so therefore will always fall short on a dress watch, IMO.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

IMO this question just cannot be answered as is - it all depends on the watch. Some white dials are not well executed (color of numerals, blue hands or not...) and white dials are in my experience harder to design successfully. Specifically, white faces on sportier watches can be a disaster. Please show pics or let us know which watch you're referring to.