• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

White dress shirts with colored buttons or colored button threads?

biopower

Reaction score
I just did a search and couldn't find anything addressing this:

Has anyone tried getting a plain white shirt and mixing it up with, say, red buttons across the front, collars (on button-downs), and sleeves? Let's say: plain white shirt with red buttons and white thread, or white shirt with navy buttons? I cannot find pictures of this online and wonder how it would look. Perhaps there is a good reason I have never seen or heard about this--it may look awful. I'd be interested in the thoughts of the community on this idea. I was thinking of buying these, say (http://www.ebay.com/itm/200pcs-Round-Buttons-Assorted-Colors-7-10mm-Sewing-B40-/380267160426?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5889b0636a#ht_2537wt_1365) and taking a shirt down to the local seamstress to have them refit a plain white shirt with a stack of, say, red or pink buttons. Thoughts?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only other color buttons I would ever get on a white shirt is black. You can do what you want though.

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a casual shirt they look a little ... cowboy.

On a formal shirt the buttons are covered by the tie, so you're better off weaving your name into your underpants for all the good it will do.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.