• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White cotton shirt unbuttoned?

ebenum

Reaction score
Hey,

Sorry, more than a little clueless but learning
smile.gif

I have some nice T shirts that I wear around uni, jill sander etc.

I have a light cotton white casual shirt, would it be a great crime to wear this unbuttoned over a contrasting t, with say a nice pair or Diesel jeans?

Thanks in advance!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebenum
Hey, Sorry, more than a little clueless but learning
smile.gif
I have some nice T shirts that I wear around uni, jill sander etc. I have a light cotton white casual shirt, would it be a great crime to wear this unbuttoned over a contrasting t, with say a nice pair or Diesel jeans? Thanks in advance!

As long as the shirt is not too sheer, I say that a slim white shirt (either tucked in or not,) paired with a dark pair of jeans is a classic. I would personally recommend a very simple, high quality pair of jeans (Rag & Bone, APC, 5EP are perfect) to match the simplicity of a clean white shirt. An interesting belt would lend visual interest. Edit: I would leave just the top two buttons unbuttoned, and probably roll up the sleeves. The unbutton white shirt and tee underneath look is really casual.

ebenum

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help.

If you wouldn't mind just taking a look at this pic to see if there is anything very obviously wrong?

TIA
smile.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think a tee under a button-up is kinda fratty, less so if the tee is contrast color as you mention, but still, why not just go without the tee? If you think the button-up is too sheer then only wear it at night -- or better yet acquire shirts that are less sheer.

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
just get a slim fitting white QUALITY shirt with a collar that is a little smaller than usual and wear it by itself. never ever ever wear a tee under a shirt, thats my opinion.
rolling up the sleeves cna look good if you do it right.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horriblyjollyjinx
just get a slim fitting white QUALITY shirt with a collar that is a little smaller than usual and wear it by itself. never ever ever wear a tee under a shirt, thats my opinion.
rolling up the sleeves cna look good if you do it right.

I generally agree with HJJ's comments. I think that the best look for a white shirt is alone, slim fitting, and with the collar either a little smaller than usual (think Helmut Lang or Dior Homme) or slightly larger, straight or semispread collar (think Prada, Jil Sander, or Barba.) IMO, Obedient Sons made the best shirt of this type (with a detachable collar) last F/W season. Terrific fabric, great, slim cut. Really nice collar shape. Retailed at around $200. I know that Stel's in Boston had them, and may be willing to dig them out of storage for you if you ask nicely. No guarantees though.

The casual, unironed, look that you are going for is better served by other types of shirts. I think that for layering, in general, a shirt in a heavier fabric or with a discreet pattern works better. MY favorite are some moleskin snap button Jil Sander shirts from the pre-Prada days (I have one in burnt orange, another in brown, both going threadbare from use), but military shirts (DSquared, though usually highly overpriced, has made some good ones in the past) and vintage western shirts work well.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
IMO, Obedient Sons made the best shirt of this type (with a detachable collar) last F/W season. Terrific fabric, great, slim cut. Really nice collar shape. Retailed at around $200. I know that Stel's in Boston had them, and may be willing to dig them out of storage for you if you ask nicely. No guarantees though.
This sounds intriguing. Were there any other interesting details? I've been thinking about having Jantzen make a casual shirt along these lines.

nairb49

Reaction score
I often wear a white shirt exactly as described in the pic above, but I agree with horribly, it should be worn alone.
Unless, you've managed only to tan your face and your body remains a nice shade of polar bear white, then I think the white shirt without layering is a better look.

haresh

Reaction score
slim white shirt, blue jeans, loafers, sleeves rolled up
or dress shoes with a striped slim blazer - no t-shirt, just perfect !

ineffable

Reaction score
To critique the picture. I don't usually wear a v-neck underneath but it depends on your face shape. The collar needs to be straightened, it's bent out of shape (pretty badly. the look is simple, so it should be neatly done. details and fit are what will make it look good/bad.) And for this kind of wear, I don't like the shirt to have a pocket (unless it is part of the design ie. military, or is subtle - ie. on a striped shirt). This pocket in particular bothers me because it looks really large. And I would recommend doing up one more button.

Personally, I wear my dress shirts both with and without a t-shirt underneath. Top two buttons always undone. I never tuck in if i'm wearing a t-shirt underneath, but always tuck in without a t-shirt. But that's just me.

The most important thing with this look is the fit. You want the dress shirt to be well fitted, and not too long. If it fits well then you will look pulled together - not sloppy, and thus, not like you're in a frat.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though I know it doesn't look that great, I tend to lean towards wearing undershirts whenever possible. I have a hairy chest :p I figure tshirt is more appealing than manfur

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads