• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Collared Dress Shirt

bcjohn

Reaction score
Is a blue or blue stripe shirt with a white collar appropriate for business casual? Also, is a french cuff shirt, worn without a suit jacket or sports coat, appropriate for business casual?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcjohn
Is a blue or blue stripe shirt with a white collar appropriate for business casual? Also, is a french cuff shirt, worn without a suit jacket or sports coat, appropriate for business casual?

no and no.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
+1

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexE
Both are appropriate

Neither is appropriate. Thanks for playing.

ns7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcjohn

Lots of senior executives wear french cuffs without a jacket or sports coat as a business casual look so I would say it's appropriate. I think everyone else here is getting appropriate and traditional mixed up.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask your boss whether it's appropriate.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Nope. Sorry.

This is why:

You're dealing with an intrinsic contradiction. Contrast collar / French cuff shirts are the most formal shirts in the standard shirt canon (excepting, of course, true formal shirts as worn with dinner jackets). The shirt is simply not casual. Wearing one in such a setting would only make you look half dressed. Asking whether it can be worn as "business casual" is like asking if it's okay to wear a necktie during sex or what scotch goes best with Cheerios.

That said, I sometimes wear a contrast collar / FC shirt with the sleeves rolled up and pair it with jeans and, say, workboots. But the contrast there is obvious and the effect purposeful. The look is not "business casual" as much as "affected dandy being idiosyncratic." (Hey, if you can't mock yourself...)

emc894

Reaction score
I see a lot of french cuff shirts with ties and no jacket. People usually have the jacket on the back of their doors or something, but basically take it off the minute they get to their office.

The white collar shirt for business casual is probably too bold.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ns7
Lots of senior executives wear french cuffs without a jacket or sports coat as a business casual look so I would say it's appropriate. I think everyone else here is getting appropriate and traditional mixed up.

Do you want to be right or do you want to be the same as everyone else? Choose carefully.

DorianGrey

Reaction score
I think you can dress them down somewhat if you wear silk knots in the double cuffs.

I know I will get pounded for this one but I once saw someone where a blue strip FC with white contrasting collars and cuffs and blue silk knots - with faded well fitting jeans and dark brown brogues. I was paired with a navy "soft" unconstructed sport coat. No tie. I thought it looked good.

Edit: This was not worn for business. It was a play outfit.

ns7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Do you want to be right or do you want to be the same as everyone else? Choose carefully.

I understand your point, but eventually what's commonplace becomes style, otherwise we'd all still be wearing caveman outfits.

More seriously though, how else is wearing a button down collar with a tie appropriate? At one point it wasn't, enough people started doing it, and now it's accepted as American tradition.

stuarts8

Reaction score
I think it is perfectly OK to wear the French cuff shirt with white collar and cuffs as business Casual . I do it myself. It is nice to be different and not doing what everyone else does.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Neither is appropriate. Thanks for playing.

Well depends a bit on what the OP means with appropriate:
Appropriate = not causing any issues with coworkers or supervisors: French cuffs w/o coat and tie are commonly seen in business casual environments and also contrast collar shirts are not uncommon. Hence it is unlikely that the OP will get any comments.

Appropriate = looking good / stylish: This is purely a matter of personal taste. As DorianGrey stated it can look very good in the eyes of some of us.

Appropriate = OK by the "rules of traditional clothing". Applying rules of traditional clothing is nonsense since "business casual" is not traditional in the first place.

And one thought in general: OP - don't worry too much what members of this forum approve - if we all would dress so everyone here would approve (especially the rule fetishists) then things would get really boring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads