1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

White collar/cuffs on colored shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

The answer here are the most important two words in the art of dressing:

it depends.

If you say "I'd get white.." does that mean that you are an avid wearer or contrast collars/cuffs?

If you say "Neither," does that mean that you refuse to wear them?

Personally I don't like them except in very few circumstances. While I dont own any, I wouldn't mind it (I personally think they look great with dark thin/white striped shirts, navy or purple).

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

ahemmm.... let me repeat, I have one very similar to that .... could you at least try to insult my shirt behind my back? [​IMG]

3. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I know my handle is gordgekko -- or would be if I wasn't a moron -- but I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of them. Of course, I've never actually tried one on to see how it looks but I prefer shirts made from one pattern.

4. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Certainly nothing personal, Globetrotter, as it was never my intention to use your shirt to clean up my dog. [​IMG]

5. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

FWIW - I kind of like the look, but I have also noticed recently that this appears to be Hugh Hefner's typical attire - every picture I've seen recently, he's in either a solid red or red-striped shirt with white collar and cuffs. OMG - I'm reading Playboy and noticing what Hef is wearing.. I don't think I'm even supposed to notice there are men in that magazine... what has the Styleforum done to me [​IMG] Bradford

6. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

I've always liked contrasting collar/cuff if worn with a good tie and subtle color/pattern. It can look stylish if done right.

It can look good with a thinly striped gray (for a light gray effect), or a light blue or yellow, even pink, I generally prefer lighter colored stripe patterns for the shirt. I think the solids look tacky if the color is too bold, and I've rarely seen one where the tie matches well. I think the contrast between the collar and shirt is just too strong and overwhelms the jacket and tie, creating a kind of "screaming madness" effect - not sure how else to describe it. Kind of like that tie on page 1. Horrible. I mean, who would wear such a monstrosity?

As for Heffner, has his style ever been relevant to people with jobs? I definitely would not wear a silk robe to work. I can see him with a bold red w/ contrasting collar, but he is all about leisure (playboy), so that doesn't mean it would work on me.

7. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

(Tyto @ Feb. 16 2005,23:38) little too Gordon Gekko for my usual dealings.
    Sir, that is an outrage.
    No offense intended: I like his wardrobe, but as I said, it just doesn't fit in the business climate that I occupy. For going out, however (the theater, etc.), I'm all for it.

8. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

None taken sir.

9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Well-Known Member

I like them, but only with white collar as well as cuffs. Not just only the collar. I have a couple of those shirts. [​IMG] This is an Oger Napoli (shop in holland, believe thay are made bij Finamore but not sure) [​IMG] This is the Etro equivalent [​IMG]

10. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

My avatar says its cool - though I personally would never wear one

11. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross New Member

Despite having staggeringly dull tastes in clothing (Brooks Brothers 1956) I do have a vague recollection of wearing them when I was considerably thinner and darker haired. My requirements for them are however:

1. Both cuffs and collar must be white, not just the collar.
    2. Tennis collar, i.e., non-spread plain collar.
    3. Solid color body to the shirt.
    4. Never wear French Blue shirts; these are for waiters in the better white tablecloth restaurants, but are unacceptable for a gentleman.