• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Bucs

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the south we still wear white bucks, does anyone else around the country? Yesterday, the day before Easter, we sold in the store 6 pairs, pretty good in a day, everyone sports their seersucker pants etc. and welcmes the spring season....I wish in a way I owned some, but am afraid to wear them....but I do love white bucks with no socks and a pair of shorts, probably way out of the style, but as mentioned in another thread, I don't have a chance anyway.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Only with seersucker, which is pretty rare for me.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Very rarely, almost only during summer, and most often under navy chino's. I'm torn between the fact that they are very 'out of the ordinary' over here, which makes me feel slightly self-conscious about them, although (I hope) that doesn't show, and the fact that I like them a lot. MtB * Edited for spelling mistake
sad.gif

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of very pale gray hard-soled summer suede shoes many years ago (maybe 1987). Up here (Michigan), they're of limited use (twice a year maybe with casual trousers and a polo shirt).

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the south we still wear white bucks, does anyone else around the country? Yesterday, the day before Easter, we sold in the store 6 pairs, pretty good in a day, everyone sports their seersucker pants etc. and welcmes the spring season....I wish in a way I owned some, but am afraid to wear them....but I do love white bucks with no socks and a pair of shorts, probably way out of the style, but as mentioned in another thread, I don't have a chance anyway.
no to the white bucks. in that situation, i would wear casual brown loafers or boat shoes instead (both of which I have). or tan suede (which I don't).

i also don't wear seersucker suits, although i have a seersuckerish jacket (its a blue/white plaid by BB). i've never worn it in nearly 2 years of owning it.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear mine when on vacation in warm, seaside places. I never wear them anywhere else. (I should probably get rid of them, as I never seem to wear them more than about 3 days a year (and then, only going out to dinner).

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear them all the time in the summer time.

I don't live in the South.

White blucks are a summer classic. I like them.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair - my uncle bought them for his wedding (a beach ceremony), then had no use for them. I don't see them much, and I've lived my short life entirely north of DC. Dirty bucs, yes, white ones, no.

I'm committing to trying to wear them more this summer. Anyone vomit at the idea of wearing them sockless, untied, with a a pair of oxford cloth or madras shorts?

JohnMS

Reaction score
I have a pair of lightly used Bass white bucks from about 1988.  I believe they were made back then in the USA.  Size if I remember right is 7.5 medium.  If anyone is interested, I could send them out for just a nominal shipping charge (no cost, just cover shipping).  Haven't used them for a while and don't plan to given my current employment.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear them all the time in the summer time. Â I don't live in the South. Â White blucks are a summer classic. Â I like them.
cheers to you my friend, you must be over the age of 35, am I right?
Anyone vomit at the idea of wearing them sockless, untied, with a a pair of oxford cloth or madras shorts?
Great look. Thought I would throw a picture up just to really drive everyone nuts.
bucks-lrg.gif

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cheers to you my friend, you must be over the age of 35, am I right?
I'm 40 (for another month.)

Bags

Reaction score
I have a pair that I wear with my seersucker suit.  Haven't really found any other occasion to wear them.  So on average, I wear them 4-5 times a year.  I'm considering getting a pair of "Nantucket red" chinos for summertime casual wear, so maybe they'd work well with that also.

For context, I'm 29 and have lived in Virginia my entire life.  I don't see it as being strictly a southern thing, but more generally a preppy thing.  I'm assuming they're also popular with the New England preppy crowd.

misterbowles

Reaction score
For context, I'm 29 and have lived in Virginia my entire life.  I don't see it as being strictly a southern thing, but more generally a preppy thing.  I'm assuming they're also popular with the New England preppy crowd.
I can confirm that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads