• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Bucs

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I have a pair of pink linen RLPL trousers that would look really great w/a pair and a navy blazer. Not sure I could pull it off in San Antonio however...

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steve, you can pull it off, and VA is still a Southern state, and high fives for the preps (Bags), we still live thank the lord, i have such a hard time accepting the new forum, but I am trying...really, it just seems the younger gen is trying to pull a sixties ting in their own way, and not doing a very good job of it...IMO, do not crucify me please, I lived it....and to Kai, 40 ain't so bad, trust me....even if I am an ugly ass.....turning 40 was my fav time.

Oh had t edit and take kudos, great pic IMO, I took it for our web site.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of white (actually ivory) bucks that I bought at the Beverly Hills Ralph Lauren Polo store in 2003. These are the cheap, made-in-China Ralph Laurens, but they impressed me then and now as attractive shoes and good values for the money. I naturally regard them as strictly a warm-weather shoe. I don't own any seersucker, but I think they look great with white, off-white or light tan slacks. I obviously don't live anywhere near Dixie although I am in the "Sun Belt."

I find them rather labor-intensive to keep decent looking after wearing them--suede eraser, fluid, brushing, etc. Curiously, white bucks were quite popular among the boys at my prep school in the late '50s. I say "curiously" because it was a very rustic school, and any shoes would be coated with dust simply as a result of walking from the primitive cabin in which you resided to the dining hall. I don't know how the lads managed to keep them clean...if they did.

My wife just hates my white bucks along with my Allen-Edmonds two-tones. I don't know what her problem is--whether she finds them "flashy," "old mannish," "gay" or whatever (she expresses herself variously on the topic) I have never entirely been able to divine.

jasonpraxis

Reaction score
Mine aren't white but very pale tan. I wear them with khaki trousers, seersucker, and a tan poplin suit - much to the eye rolling dismay of my girlfriend, who insists that I look like an old fogey out of Faulkner. Whatever. Someone in the 18-25 demographic has to keep the tradition alive.
biggrin.gif

rayk

Reaction score
I live in NY and have never seriously considered buying a pair of white bucks...that was until I bought a seersucker suit last fall.  I haven't had a chance to wear it, but when I do, I'd like to go the distance and pair it with classic white bucks.  Someone has already said that if you're going to go so far as to wear seersucker, you had might as well go all the way and slip into a pair of white bucks.  I couldn't agree more.

This being said, I chose to buy a rather poorly made Jos. A. Banks three-button blue and white seersucker, just to see if I had the b**** to wear it.  I believe that I'll go for it.  As for the shoes, I'd been planning to buy the C&J white bucks offered through Ben Silver at $385, but just recently found the BB white bucks at $128.  I'm sure that the C&J are superior in every way, but can anyone tell me anything about the quality of the product from BB?

For the little that it's worth, I believe that the combination of the Ben Silver seersucker suit with C&J white bucks is an unbeatable combo...at least for anyone confident enough to wear this $1200 combination more than once or twice then, relegate it to the netherworld of his wardrobe.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I am glad to see the tradition being held, they are supremely rich in tradition and looks, and by the way, the ones pictured above are made for us by the same company that makes thise for JOs Banks at $120, and a few of the other companies, but the RL was a classic until they moved it off shore...the original from Walk Over was the best for the money, and until last year even AE made one, mine actually, but they quit....it is nice to see some traditionalist even if they are younger guys, actually it is good to see the younger guys grabbing on to the good looks of the upper class...excuse my ignorance there please.

Doctor Crane

Reaction score
Fear not, I'm another college aged student who sports the trad/preppie tradition proudly and I'm dying for a pair of good white bucs to wear along with my seersucker and Nantucket red pants. I've found that most of the prices seem to hover around the 115-135 range for a pair pretty much accross the board (J Crew, Polo, Johnson & Murphy, etc.). That being said, who currently makes the best offerings for your buc <sic>?

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doctor C, please call me Wed.......the bucs you see are made as close to the old Walk Over as possible, they are nice, and if I did not have 5 pairs in the closet now, I would have a new pair put away. If you do not know the number I will provide it.

Hey, meet us nexrt week for dinner, Nick is setting it up for Friday night in Arlington or something for 7:30 I think, I will be in town, if you want I can bring them with.
<Social Life, Food and Drink >
Topic: A nightout in DC in April, iRicci Friday 04/08 or Sat 04/09.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chris, you state that "until last year A-E made [white bucks]." There are no white bucks in the Fall 2003 A-E catalog nor in any subsequent catalog. Nor have I ever seen them on closeout at the Cabazon outlet, which I have been frequenting since they opened in late 2003. I think the A-E white bucks must have bitten the dust somewhat earlier although they continue make a "dirty' buck to this day.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chris, you state that "until last year A-E made [white bucks]." There are no white bucks in the Fall 2003 A-E catalog nor in any subsequent catalog. Nor have I ever seen them on closeout at the Cabazon outlet, which I have been frequenting since they opened in late 2003. I think the A-E white bucks must have bitten the dust somewhat earlier although they continue make a "dirty' buck to this day.
They made them for us last Spring, we ordered enough to offset the $100 make-up fee, the shoe is still available on special, but ut cost $100 to make, 1 pair or 100, we ordered 75 pairs to offset the difference, and we sold out in 4 months...I think it left the cat in fall 02 though.
we did the same thing with the black Shelton, why they took that out we have no idea.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
but just recently found the BB white bucks at $128. I'm sure that the C&J are superior in every way, but can anyone tell me anything about the quality of the product from BB?

I bought a pair at the Brooks outlet in Woodbury last year. They were on the sale rack at the outlet and I had a discount card for 15% off. They ended up costing me about $27 when all was said and done.

I wore them about five or six times last year (yes, in NYC with my seersucker) and had no problem with the fit or the quality. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you protect them with some type of spray, as they do get dirty rather quick.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A solid black Shelton? Now that would have been a nifty addition to my shoe wardrobe. A pity they dropped it. I was able to pick up a pair of the chili/brown Sheltons made in 1996 just last month, so perhaps there's still a chance one of these days. The burgundy/black Shelton has never appealed to me (and I know my wife would hate it). In fact, I just wore my Sheltons to an Easter luncheon with my wife's family since I knew her father is a big fan of saddle shoes.

On another note, I wish the new Allen Edmonds book could have shown at least an extensive sampling of past A-E shoe styles. As it is, it is mostly just an encomium to John Stollenwerk. Admirable fellow though he is, I would just as soon have saved the price of the book.

JAB

Reaction score
Steve, I'd wear that outfit in San Antonio...wait a minute, I do
biggrin.gif
Regards, Jason

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A solid black Shelton? Now that would have been a nifty addition to my shoe wardrobe. A pity they dropped it. I was able to pick up a pair of the chili/brown Sheltons made in 1996 just last month, so perhaps there's still a chance one of these days. The burgundy/black Shelton has never appealed to me (and I know my wife would hate it). In fact, I just wore my Sheltons to an Easter luncheon with my wife's family since I knew her father is a big fan of saddle shoes.

On another note, I wish the new Allen Edmonds book could have shown at least an extensive sampling of past A-E shoe styles. As it is, it is mostly just an encomium to John Stollenwerk. Admirable fellow though he is, I would just as soon have saved the price of the book.
I will send this post on to John, that might be a good edition cat. for the to put out, a great way to promote the sale of specials, and by the way, I still have some solid black Sheltons.

marc37

Reaction score
What on earth are white bucks????? That's what a cow does when its angry; it bucks ya.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads