• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

White Bow Tie with Spread Collar & Dinner Jacket... Terrible?

basseq

Reaction score
I know, traditionally, "black tie" is your dinner suit, spread collar, and black tie. "White tie" is tails, wing collar, and—you guessed it—a white tie. So is a white marcella tie with a spread collar, marcella shirt and a dinner suit just a terrible thing? Or are the traditionalists getting their panties in a wad?

(Background: I'm getting married and I think it'd be a nice touch.)

Blasphima

Reaction score
Wearing a mishmash of items that weren't designed to go together is not a good idea. In fact, it will most likely make your entire outfit seem like a gimmicky rental costume.

Just go with a classic black bowtie (no pre-tied junk, please) and you'll be fine.

basseq

Reaction score
Revisiting this, it's worth noting that the Black Tie Guide makes special mention of this. (I missed it the first time around.) Reprinting:

What’s not acceptable under any circumstances is the mixing of a white-tie tailcoat with black-tie accessories. Wearing a white bow tie with a tuxedo has been an equally grave faux pas since the black-tie dress code was finalized in the 1920s but it has been an admittedly common practice for grooms around the world ever since then. At the risk of committing formal heresy the Guide endorses this option provided it is confined to a wedding context, limited to the groom and executed impeccably with a proper full-dress shirt and waistcoat (which are both perfectly acceptable with black tie). In these circumstances it provides an elegant matrimonial touch to the groom's formal wardrobe in a manner that is deliberately respectful of convention rather than ignorantly oblivious to it.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not perfectly familiar with the "rules," but this sounds terrible. Why even play with the idea to begin with?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is certainly good historical precedent for wearing a white bow tie with a dinner jacket, as Obama did at his inaugural ball, to the chagrin and ridicule of the iGentry, but most would perceive it as a rather odd and off-beat thing these days.

The whole point of black and white eveningwear for men is to provide a uniform background so that the gowns and beauty of the ladies will be exhibited to best advantage. Why distract from your bride on her day with an offbeat, eclectic wedding costume?

On reflection, most grooms' outfits these days are just that--eclectic mishmashes of elements drawn from traditional men's formal and semi-formal attire, so I suppose a white bowtie wouldn't make too much difference.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 55 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 108 34.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 93 29.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 34 10.8%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%