• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White bow tie with regular tuxedo

SomeDude2021

Reaction score
I'm wearing a peak lapel tuxedo for my wedding and I'm planning to wear a white pique backless waistcoat (the kind normally paired with a tailcoat) with it. So other than following tradition, why would it be so wrong in your opinion for me to wear a white bow tie instead of a black one?

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Whether it would be "wrong" of you to wear is a separate question from whether you'd look better wearing normal black tie instead of mixing black tie and white tie. Many things are traditional because they are optimal. It's your wedding, so you can wear whatever you want if you like it and anticipate approving of it in photos down the road.

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
A white bow tie was often worn with a tuxedo by grooms in the 30s and 40s and if they could get away with it, so can you. (Though I’ve never seen it done with a white waistcoat.)

72FC4E0B-90CD-4716-8DCB-DB5803518E6D.png

Paris-62

Reaction score
I would rater wear a white one than a black one. You are getting married, you do not go to a première at the Opera.

SomeDude2021

Reaction score
Whether it would be "wrong" of you to wear is a separate question from whether you'd look better wearing normal black tie instead of mixing black tie and white tie. Many things are traditional because they are optimal. It's your wedding, so you can wear whatever you want if you like it and anticipate approving of it in photos down the road.

Fair enough. I just see all these purists on here, MFA reddit subs, and articles that decry wearing a white bow tie as if it's some major sin, all because of "tradition." But thank you for providing a constructive answer as opposed to blindly following the rules for the sake of doing so.

In each case, it looks to me like a black one would have helped to frame the face better.
Curious if you think the traditional white tie ensemble means there's a lack of proper framing to the face.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Curious if you think the traditional white tie ensemble means there's a lack of proper framing to the face.

In some cases, yes, to an extent, although there are other aspects of the white tie ensemble (not present in the black tie ensemble) which I think reduce that effect.

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
I just remembered - when dinner jackets were first introduced they were just substitutes for a tailcoat, so of course they were worn with a white bow tie and white waistcoat. Somedude, I guess there’s even more of a historical precedent for your choices than I had realized.
8BE9973D-DE49-489A-A202-011E80F1B597.jpeg

Last edited:

SomeDude2021

Reaction score
I just remembered - when dinner jackets were first introduced they were just substitutes for a tailcoat, so of course they were worn with a white bow tie and white waistcoat. Somedude, I guess there’s even more of a historical precedent for your choices than I had realized.
View attachment 1573204
Thanks for this. What's your source for finding these pictures? Would love to see more out of curiosity.
I wonder how we went from this to "it is a sin to wear white bows without tails, period."

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
The illustrations came from:

Back when that site was blacktieguide.com I was a regular reader. The current version has preserved most of the info, you can learn all you’d ever want to know about black tie. If you go to the “Edwardian Era - 1900s - 1910s” section you’ll see:

“And the choice of a black or white bow tie remained largely arbitrary despite etiquette authors insisting only the former was appropriate for informal evening attire. However, the black waistcoat and black bow tie would become the norm for tuxedos by the end of the first decade, establishing the basics of today’s Black Tie dress code.”

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads