• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White Belt

seok

Reaction score
not to resurrect the acerbic nature of the debate, but...

what belts would one recommend wearing with white shoes (nubuck/leather/etc.)?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
seok: What kind of white shoes? Sneakers? I'm currently wearing a white canvas Diesel belt with a seat-belt style buckle. I'm matching it with white Adidas flip-flops. Ah, I love Sundays. And Sunday brunches.

seok

Reaction score
kent: say, a pair of white suede lace-ups?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just how white is the suede? Suede is often cream and I can't say that I've really seen truly white suede shoes. What you want to avoid is matching a true-white belt with cream shoes. The only thing worse than not matching is almost-but-not-quite matching. I actually have a terrific cream suede belt that I rarely wear because I don't have cream-colored shoes -- only white sneakers. Sounds like we should swap
smile.gif
That said, you should get a plain, dressy belt. Leather of any kind. Nubuck would be perfect as the texture is similar to your suede shoes. Most importantly no studs, holes or any kind of decoration beyond the buckle. The popular white belt is too often adorned with that kind of crap. Not only is that look played out, but it would also not match your dressy(ier) shoes.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko,May 26 2005,15:28
White belts on men are a sin against God.
So is spending $1000 on a suit while 11 million people face starvation in Ethiopia. We're a group of selfish, elitist bastards. And we sure as hell don't want to hear your sartorial dogma.
My boy, if you only want opinions expressed in the meekest possible way so that everyone's feelings are spared, I would avoid anything that I write in the future.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
say, a pair of white suede lace-ups?
Depends a lot on the styling of the shoe, and the wearer. Not a case for matching the shoe and belt material perfectly, in my opinion. If these are white bucs (sorry, not the finest example), a ribbon or otherwise J. Press standard issue belt would work. If they're dressier/more modern, I don't know. I think the men's mags have been pimping white shoes lately though, maybe pick up an esq, GQ, or vitals.

mnemonic

Reaction score
white belts...wow.

one of the most annoying accessories out there.

it can go with your "messenger bag", dyed black hair, and yeah yeah yeahs pins on the strap of your bag. you can attend locust shows and match everybody.

this derision is a product of being 24, living in seattle, and watching the hipsters.

johnny.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
white belts...wow. one of the most annoying accessories out there. it can go with your "messenger bag", dyed black hair, and yeah yeah yeahs pins on the strap of your bag. you can attend locust shows and match everybody. this derision is a product of being 24, living in seattle, and watching the hipsters. johnny.
Dude, You should go to Williamsburg or the Lower East Side. Â I think that j. might need to give you mouth-to-mouth after that heart attack you get. Â I'd take pictures, and own this place after that. I agree though. Once Dior Homme groupies start up on something, it's done.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Holy crap dude, I just noticed you passed 4000 posts?.

Johnny has a big tattoo on his neck that says -

DNR: Do not resuscitate in event of life-threatening hipster-induced trauma.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
White belts are such a basic fashion accessory that I sincerely don't see pairing them with jeans as too hip or a fad....but maybe that's just me. It's not because Slimane goes around dressing a couple of rock stars and a legion of wannabes rock stars as complete clones that each part of the uniform worn separately are now a big no no...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Guess what, nothing is the new white belt, that's right, the new thing will be tucking in your shirt and wearing no belt at all. Extra points if your shirt blouses out over where the belt would be. Q: How many hipsters does it take to screw in a lightbulb? ... A: (Disgusted 14-year-old girl style scoff) Uh, you don't know???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads