• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whistle-blowing

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Has anyone ever reported curruption for a current or former employer?

Anything you'd like to share? I can make it worth your while.

Regards,

Raj Rajaratnam

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
Anything you'd like to share? I can make it worth your while.

Regards,

Raj Rajaratnam

Are you asking me for non-public information?
rotflmao.gif
crackup[1].gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
snitches get stiches... but blowing the (bosses) whistle gets a promotion.

or so I've heard.

lastlight

Reaction score
Depends on your job, what security do you have for your job upon reporting. Is it so bad that you feel it is worth personal risks and damage to your character as 'the snitch'.

If you decide to do it I suggest you get a lawyer first.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good friend of mine blew the whistle at a university. Entire white population of university faculty was exploiting foreign (mostly asian fob) workers to standards that were highly illegal. Entire department was sued, they were all fired, and my good friend never got a job again.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I had an incompetent boss who was damn near putting the company under. I had already resigned and was Vietnam-bound. I really liked my big bosses (issues with GM, great relationship with COO and CEO), so when I resigned (on a Friday), the Hong Kong based COO flew down to Singapore to talk to me about what was up and try and talk me out of it the following Monday. I figured that they had been good to me, and deserved to hear what was going on in their office.

I spent the entire weekend with a notepad, jotting down examples of how she had harmed the company in her ~9 months tenure so that when I met the COO, I didn't go blank and sound whiny.

It ran to 5 A4 pages, front and back.

We met, I laid it all out. He was stunned.

He met her the next day. Presumably laid it out.

On the Friday I was told that my resignation had been accepted, and with the amount of leave I had owing to me, I was free to go, and complete whatever was outstanding from home.

A mass exodus followed - every single consultant in the consultancy resigned, they were literally a zero consultant consultancy - and three months later, that GM "resigned for health reasons".

Moral of the story, even though I was right, and later vindicated, I should have kept my mouth shut and bowed out gracefully. Given my relationship with the CxOs, I felt as though I owed it to them to be open about what was going on in an office that they did not sit in.

Big mistake.

While I laid out a solid business case about what was going on, basically what they heard was a mid level employee telling them they made a mistake in a senior hire. People don't like being told that they are wrong....

I don't know if this counts as whistle-blowing or not, and I don't know if it applies to OP's situation, but it is a story of reporting issues inside a company ultimately causing me more grief (in the short term anyhow) than it was worth.

Incidentally my former firm now refers me business, so in due course, I guess that is a tacit admission that they should have listened, but ultimately, I still should have shut my mouth and got out gracefully.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
same as matt, not really whistle blowing but i did turn around on former employers.

A while back I was working with a couple of guys to take over a company here, they didnt know anyone in finance or m&a but wanted to take over the company and I work in m&a. The whole project was really weird from the start as there was more secrecy then needed in this deal, and the finance structure changed about weekly. To boot the they were the only ones who were allowed to deal with the owner.

After a couple of months of this and getting nowhere I started to get suspicious and backtracked some stuff. Turned out they were just trying to get a hold on the company without paying anything and then running of with its cash assets (the owner had left a few years worth of profits in the company). To boot they had not payed me in two months.

I met with the owner, set up a separate deal and sold the company to a decent party. Needless to say Ive made some life long enemies with this. It was worth it though as I wouldnt have liked to see the owner get ripped off/scammed.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt, I don't think that's considered whistle blowing because the GM was just incompetent. It didn't sound like she did anything illegal or morally wrong. Cool story to hear about though. I see a lot of that happen in the tech industry. People with MBAs and supposedly great backgrounds/work experiences are hired to run companies and they don't know **** about tech. Then they make some stupid decisions that all the engineers know are stupid and the business fails.

I see a lot of people taking advantage of being in high spots like hiring family/friends who aren't qualified for jobs and some of whom don't do anything, but nothing illegal. I bet this happens a lot though.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ya I know, I mention mainly as I was thinking about the consequences of opening your mouth, and whether it is likely to end well for your own career. In my own experience, it hasn't. YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads