• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

While waiting for Foo-approval (shirt/tie/braces combo)

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've sought Foo approval and am currently waiting on his reply in his own thread, but thought I'd also ask the general public about a purple/purple combo I'm considering. It's a lavender mini gingham shirt and purple tie. The shades are all different but I can't quite decide whether the tones are right with each other:

[ATTACHMENT=3577]2012-08-08_21-55-10_144.jpg (1,200k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=3578]2012-08-08_21-55-26_438-2.jpg (1,452k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Now, for the other question: braces. I know that nobody is supposed to see them. I also know that people will see them. Is it too "matchy" to also wear purple braces, assuming the above combo works in general?

Beyond that, I also have a suit/tie/shirt combo that I'm seeking opinions on since I'm concerned about the mixing of blues and blacks. The shirt is a contrast collar striped shirt with light blue, white and black. The suit is dark blue, but not quite as deep as navy and the grey dot stripe gives it almost a steely look. The tie is black with white polka dots. I can sense it's on the edge of working well and chosen-by-Stevie-Wonder so again, opinions sought. Foo; this didn't make it to your thread but you're more than welcome to weigh in.

[ATTACHMENT=3579]2012-08-09_15-08-23_798.jpg (2,011k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited:

Calder

Reaction score
I've sought Foo approval and am currently waiting on his reply in his own thread, but thought I'd also ask the general public about a purple/purple combo I'm considering. It's a lavender mini gingham shirt and purple tie. The shades are all different but I can't quite decide whether the tones are right with each other:

Now, for the other question: braces. I know that nobody is supposed to see them. I also know that people will see them. Is it too "matchy" to also wear purple braces, assuming the above combo works in general?
The shirt looks more like grey, but purple is difficult to judge from photos as the colour space in digital reproductions doesn't do it justice. The 5:1 scale ratio between the two patterns, together with the large deep field of the background of the tie looks ok to me, but you'll need to judge it in person.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The shirt looks more like grey, but purple is difficult to judge from photos as the colour space in digital reproductions doesn't do it justice. The 5:1 scale ratio between the two patterns, together with the large deep field of the background of the tie looks ok to me, but you'll need to judge it in person.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying, particularly about the 5:1 scale ratio. Are you talking about how much tie is in the picture vs. how much shirt? Or is the above a detailed, and friendly, way of telling me I'm a crappy photographer who should use something other than a phone camera for this sort of thing?

In any event, this is the shirt:

http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-shirt...fault||RG013LLC|||||1862,||||||||&ppp=59&so=y

The tie is a slightly warmer, deeper purple than the one shown, with less of a blue hue. I'd say the tie is fairly accurately represented in my photos.

Calder

Reaction score
By 5:1 scale ratio I mean the shirt repeats its pattern 5 times for every repeat of the tie pattern. That's good - if the patterns are the same scale they tend to get lost in each other and look like crap.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By 5:1 scale ratio I mean the shirt repeats its pattern 5 times for every repeat of the tie pattern. That's good - if the patterns are the same scale  they tend to get lost in each other and look like crap.

By the way, any opinion on also pairing the combination with purple braces (I know, those shouldn't be seen, but we all know they will be...)? I laid out the shirt and tie with the suit I'm planning to wear for the event and liked it more as a whole outfit. I'm torn on the braces, though. The taupe ones I'd usually wear have brown leather attachments and I feel weird about wearing that when I'll be wearing black shoes (don't ask me why).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads