• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which would look better?

spindoctor

Reaction score
Which out of these two would look better/smarter:

1. A cheap navy pinstripe suit from Burton's with plain pink shirt. The suit looks cheap (creases up very easily) and is quite uncomfortable to wear.

2. A nice shirt from the likes of let's say Eton or TM Lewin with black trousers and without a tie. I was thinking about wearing a premium shirt with a nice tie from Canali without a jacket is that sort of look acceptable?

Thanks

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acceptable for what?

The Royal wedding?

A night at the pub?

mrjames

Reaction score
jacket is always smarter than bare shirt

shirts are technically 'underwear'- and if you wear a shirt/tie/trousers then the part where you tuck your shirt in will be scruffy

£20 of tailoring will do wonders for the cut of the suit btw

spindoctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Acceptable for what?

The Royal wedding?

A night at the pub?

For work. I'm a field sales executive. I have to go to businesses and meet business owners/managers on a regular basis. My boss doesn't wear a suit just a very nice pressed shirt with either black or navy trousers. He goes buying a suit is too much hassle and its very difficult for him to buy a suit that fits him properly and he doesn't have the time to go down the MTM route. I have the same problem plus I can't afford MTM at this moment in time. At my interview my boss was wearing a Howick suit that was really a bit too baggy and I personally think he looks better with his shirts which are very nice.

spindoctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrjames
jacket is always smarter than bare shirt

shirts are technically 'underwear'- and if you wear a shirt/tie/trousers then the part where you tuck your shirt in will be scruffy

£20 of tailoring will do wonders for the cut of the suit btw

Does it have to be a suit Jacket do you think or can you get away with a smart jacket? Finding suit jackets in my size 34R is near impossible.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do your customers wear? You want to avoid over/under dressing them.

I'd avoid the black pants. Grey,charcoal maybe other colours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads