• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which way do you put your belt on? Clockwise or counterclockwise?

laphroaig

Reaction score
CCW for all belts except 2, which are so thick, the loop holding the buckle has to sit on the button site or it feels like the belt protrudes too much.

I bespeak that most people don't wear belts to actually keep their trousers up. I find wearing a belt on trousers that are loose enough to fall down without one causes the material to twist so much under the belt it becomes uncomfortable. When a $30 alteration will fix trousers pre-made from non-bespoken material, why use a $100 belt for something so obvious as holding pants up?

Everybody knows a belt is only used so the belt loops don't look precariously empty.

TintinATL

Reaction score
I assumed everyone wore theirs clockwise, like I do. Then last year I was given a belt with my initials engraved. Unless I want them upside down, it has to go on anti-clockwise. I was truly surprised. But reading this thread, the military alignment aspects makes perfect sense.

orthofrancis

Reaction score
Right handers (counterclockwise) and left handers (clockwise) will probably put their belts on opposite directions. It's easier to see the belt going across your body, and it's a more natural motion for each of those groups, since they will be using different hands.
Belts, if they have an "up" orientation, will tend to be put on a counterclockwise fashion (looking down), or to the left, since 90% of the population is right-handed.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you put it on clockwise, you can't use those little tabs for the tang of your belt-buckle on high-end pants.

osjknights

Reaction score
Mens, buttons are on the r/h side, so they can use the right hand to put then through the button hole easily. Ladies were given the reverse, so that their maids/servants could do *************ons easily. The belt end (opposite end to the buckle) similarly needs to be on the right, so it is easily put through the buckle on the left.
Elsewhere on the web is this comment; "Women insert the belt into the first loop on their right hip. Men insert the belt into the first loop on their left hip. "
- http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2429705 #14.

Toorman

Reaction score
This is why I purchase RLBL suits.

ACACRefugee

Reaction score
Counterclockwise.
Originally Posted by T4phage
You should do a crosspost to AAAC, I believe you will get a deeper, more ANALytical answer there.
No, Cruiser would step forward to defend the clockwise minority (sartorial precedents notwithstanding), and counterclockwise formites will be forced to flee or remain silent. The ASCII string "clock" would also be added to the forbidden word parser.

orthofrancis

Reaction score
I'm amazed that people are still posting to this (me included).

Seems pretty conclusive that most men , and responses here, place their belt according to their handedness. You can see where the belt end is going in these directions when using your dominant hand.

RIght handed counterclockwise (looking down)
Left handed clockwise.

Anyone posting after this , should be only posting exceptions, as I'd like to hear about that.

wldthistle

Reaction score
Wow, you guys are as weird as I am. A whole discussion about which way to put on a belt - I love it.

Oh, and I always assumed that the clockwise standard went hand in hand with the buttons-on-the-right standard. For Halloween once I used some women's pants as part of my costume--it's amazing how awkward it was to work the "backwards" closure. I still put on my belt counter-clockwise, and it just seemed less elegant/aesthetically pleasing. Not sure if that's just because it's not what I'm used to, or if there's an inherent balance in going counter-clockwise with men's pants.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by orthofrancis
I'm amazed that people are still posting to this (me included).

Seems pretty conclusive that most men , and responses here, place their belt according to their handedness. You can see where the belt end is going in these directions when using your dominant hand.

RIght handed counterclockwise (looking down)
Left handed clockwise.

Anyone posting after this , should be only posting exceptions, as I'd like to hear about that.

What should have been obvious is that there is a right way and a wrong way and the people doing wrong are trying to justify their incorrect threading by faulty reasoning; left-handed, southern hemisphere, married a ginger etc.

Number of belts designed to be worn threaded clockwise - 0
Number of belts designed to be worn threaded anti- clockwise - non trivial amount

I think that says it all.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
If you put it on clockwise, you can't use those little tabs for the tang of your belt-buckle on high-end pants.

So that's what that's for!

*#..

Reaction score
^Why isn't this guy banned yet? He's been spamming topics/threads like crazy. Anyways, I'm right handed, and I've never even thought about doing it clockwise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads