1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which way do you put your belt on? Clockwise or counterclockwise?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Toad, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

I'm ant believe Merckur didn't ask this question first.

2. Septavius

Septavius Senior member

What should have been obvious is that there is a right way and a wrong way and the people doing wrong are trying to justify their incorrect threading by faulty reasoning; left-handed, southern hemisphere, married a ginger etc.

Number of belts designed to be worn threaded clockwise - 0
    Number of belts designed to be worn threaded anti- clockwise - non trivial amount

I think that says it all.

Left handed. Always done it counter-clockwise. Going clockwise feels unnatural.

3. retozimmermann

retozimmermann Senior member

Doesn't it also look better counterclockwise? Since all men's clothes have the overlapping flap on the left, shouldn't your belt have the overlapping buckle on the left? Like on shirts and pants, the buttons go in a way that the overlapping fabric is on the left. I think photos would illustrate this better but I'm too lazy.
    +1

Absolutely. While you can technically choose one way or the other, I think there is just one correct way for men to do it in this case: counter-clockwise.

4. retozimmermann

retozimmermann Senior member

When I came across this thread yesterday, I was surprised there seemed to be such a consensus on counter-clockwise being correct for men. I have always worn my belts clockwise - no idea why and have never noticed it or had it commented upon. Yet, sitting in our meeting room with about 10 other men this evening I noticed that, indeed, everyone else there had their belt on counter-clockwise.

Maybe this is my feminine side showing? I have no plans to change my belt wearing habits in any case. [​IMG]

It's not surprising that you haven't been approached about it. The vast majority of the people doesn't really pay attention to this kind of thing (anymore, unfortunately). Even if I noticed this in someone, I'd certainly not tell the person, unless they were family, good friends or if they worked with me in some form where dressing correctly was important.

5. docsandbo

docsandbo New Member

This is not going to help you at all (and as a left-hander most things present the wrong way round as a matter of course...) but I am looking to create a belt with initials on for a friend's 50th and struggling to find a co to do this - what company made yours please (looking for thin ladies belts!?) (..and might not work as I am in the UK but have been looking for ages and can only come up with large jeans-type buckle).

6. Daveleft

Daveleft New Member

Hi All
    Interesting read. If I was a betting man, I would suggest 99.99% of people who don't notice are right handed - because you don't need to!

Regarding the belt, most of the belts I have ever bought are cut a particular way. There is a slight curve at the back. So if you wear the right handed way (thread from left), the back will be slightly higher than the front. If you thread from right, the back of e belt will be lower, thus affecting way your trousers sit. It took a while to for to adjust, but now is second nature to do right handed way.

One unrelated piece of trivia.. When I learned to do my shoes up,taught by a right handed, for 30 years I had to use double knots to stop them coming undone all the time. One day I decided to loop the lace the opposite way on a particularly troublesome golf shoe and guess what? Bingo, never had the problem again!