• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which way do you put your belt on? Clockwise or counterclockwise?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For many years I wore my belts clockwise. I think this came from always having been dressed by my mother as a little boy, my father having been killed at the outbreak of WWII, a few months before I was born. Now, I always wear my belt counterclockwise. The military prescription--and I think this applies equally well on civvy street--is to have the right edges of the belt buckle, the shirt placket and the trouser fly all in perfect alignment.

coogie

Reaction score
I thought it was very well known women wore it clockwise and men wore it counter

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
On my trousers that have mini-loops, the mini-loop is on the left, meaning that in order for the buckle to be centered with the tang through the loop, the belt should be put in counter-clockwise.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I came across this thread yesterday, I was surprised there seemed to be such a consensus on counter-clockwise being correct for men. I have always worn my belts clockwise - no idea why and have never noticed it or had it commented upon. Yet, sitting in our meeting room with about 10 other men this evening I noticed that, indeed, everyone else there had their belt on counter-clockwise.

Maybe this is my feminine side showing? I have no plans to change my belt wearing habits in any case.
smile.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder if it matters which side of the equator you are on? Could it be like the way water swirls in different directions? Of course that might mean that people on the equator in Panama would have to wear suspenders
smile.gif

Lyon Burke

Reaction score
fusherino's got logic. right-handed ones would go for counter, unless your belt buckle is on the left (when you 're holding it).

my first post!
bigstar[1].gif

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I'm surprised that no one on this forum has set up a poll asking members which way they dress
laugh.gif

What's kind of sad is that so few American men use a proper tailor that most men probably don't even know what this means anymore. As you know, it's not about belts. I recall when I was a teenager getting my first suit with my Dad and the tailor at BB asked which side I "dressed" on and I had no idea what he was talking about. "It's where you keep the family jewels," my Dad explained.

pclldo

Reaction score
Didn't belts only become widely popular after the first World War, among returning troops who found them convenient or comfortable and adopted them for civilian dress? It may just be a case of men wearing their belts counterclockwise for no other reason than that it was the way they were first exposed to them while in the military, and they simply kept at it, and made it a "rule".

This specific point may have been covered in the other thread referenced, but isn't the counterclockwise tradition some kind of lingering throwback to dressing conventions for carrying a saber, like men's jackets and trousers still buttoning left over right? I had always understood this be some vestigal effort to make it easier to draw a sword from left to right (presuming most men were righthanded).

It doesnt' seem to make much sense if you think about it, but a lot of conventions in male clothing do seem to have had their origins in military uniforms, and have no other function now other than always being done that way- not that that's a valid reason to keep doing it now, of course.

Pylon

Reaction score
Counter-clockwise. The Air Force has men wear the belt counter-clockwise and I believe women wear it clockwise. In my early days I wore my belt clockwise... having someone point that out to me one of the first times I wore blues, I quickly changed it to counter and have since carried that over to my civilian clothes, too.

MaxJones

Reaction score
Counter.

Coming from a part of the country where men used to carry sidearms, I wonder if historically men wouldn't just wear their belts so that the belt's excess pointed away from the trigger-hand. I'd think this might be part of the equation for military men as well, i.e. officers.

82-Greg

Reaction score
CCW.

Drilled into me at military college. Belt goes in the left and the the edge of the belt buckle, the placket of the shirt and the line of the trousers fly cover align down the approximate center of the body in a gig line.

Demerits will be handed out to those improperly aligned. Inspection in 5 minutes!

And get a haircut too!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads