Which Way Do YOU Personally Convert EU to US Suit / SC Sizes? (There Are 2 Schools of Thought...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Sep 6, 2016.

Which Way Do You Personally Convert EU to US Suit / SC Sizes? (There Are 2 Schools of Thought...)

1. Subtract 10

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. The Other Method -- double the Euro size, and divide by 2.54 to get inches/US size (Example: a 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I have always used the rule of thumb of "subtract 10" from the European size to get your American size. For example, a 50R EU becomes a 40R EU,a 54R EU becomes a 44R US, 58R EU becomes a 48R US, and so forth. Most online retailers, SFers and eBayers seem to follow this rule of thumb. The better stores and sellers also provide measurements to give you peace of mind. Far and way, "Subract 10" seems to be the most popular method.

I recently became aware that the old school way to convert is this way. I'll quote an explanation from an old SF thread. (Paging @thinman if he still posts here)

http://www.styleforum.net/t/296935/what-is-the-origin-of-european-suit-sizing/0_50#post_5375881

I was wondering which method you all personally use when you browse for stuff online? Do you use "subtract 10" or the other method?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  2. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Well, when just browsing I use the -10 rule of thumb. But I’d never actually buy anything without getting the actual measurements, at which point it becomes entirely irrelevant what it’s called.

Cheers,

Ac

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Believe it or not, there are a few people that are dead set on the other method. I had one person on eBay message me and say that the Subtract 10 method was wrong and throwing off his browsing method

They are both correct

4. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Jacket circumference method doesn't quite make sense to me unless we're actually talking about the body circumference. That is a EU48 jacket can't actually be 96 cm in circumference or else it'd be literally skin tight.