Which watches retain their value?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stevejobs, Jan 15, 2009.

1. stevejobs

stevejobs Senior member

I recently read a news article about someone trying to pawn his Movado watch and the pawnbroker turning him down, saying that there is no secondary market for that watch brand. So the guy who bought the Movado for let's say $500 is stuck, whereas if he had bought a different brand he might have been able to recoup something for it.

We all know that top brands such as Rolex, Cartier, and Patek retain their value well, but what mid-priced brands (sub $1000) are just as worthy as resales (percentage wise)?

2. AJL

AJL Senior member

I think you should be worrying less about cheap watches and more about your health. My Roth IRA hangs in the balance.

3. randallr

randallr Senior member

4. Teger

Teger Senior member

My uncle is actually a watch collector/dealer (instead of say, putting his money in to something smart, like an IRA, he buys another watch), and he says he does the best with Rolexes..

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Used high end watches retain their value very well.

- B

6. Azure

Azure Senior member

Casio calculator ones

7. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

if you buy a used watch at an average price, use it cleanly, there is no reason you won't get the exact same price later on if you sell it. If you are really a cheapskate, you should get one with a good amount of wear scratches on it, but has recently been serviced. In 2 years it will look the same and you can say it was serviced 2 years ago, which is not bad for a used watch.

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Cartier doesn't hold value well, from what I've seen in that market. Patek and Rolex are still the best to buy if you're into that sort of thing. But for Rolex, keep your choices to the ones that are harder to find- Daytona, Milgauss, the older Sea Dwellers.... the run of the mill Rolexes do not hold much value. Few notches down the totem pole and I believe IWC pilots and base Panerais' prices don't go down as much in the second hand market. The rest- Omega, Breitling, B&R, Ball, etc... I think its better you just hold on to them.

9. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

if you buy a used watch at an average price, use it cleanly, there is no reason you won't get the exact same price later on if you sell it.

great advice!

10. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

I recently read a news article about someone trying to pawn his Movado watch and the pawnbroker turning him down, saying that there is no secondary market for that watch brand. So the guy who bought the Movado for let's say $500 is stuck, whereas if he had bought a different brand he might have been able to recoup something for it.

We all know that top brands such as Rolex, Cartier, and Patek retain their value well, but what mid-priced brands (sub $1000) are just as worthy as resales (percentage wise)?

Movado is the Kenneth Cole of watches

11. TowleY

TowleY Senior member

Seikos, and Breitling?

12. btinl

btinl Senior member

Movado is the Kenneth Cole of watches

Haha. What is your opinion of Kenneth Cole watches then? [​IMG]

13. Big A

Big A Senior member

Do not buy a new watch ever. Patek, Rolex, Panerai (some of them, anyway), and anything made of platinum will hold its value.

By "hold it's value" I don't mean that you can sell it for the same price as you bought it for. I mean you can take a minimal loss.

14. blah23

blah23 Active Member

I've been told Rolex and Panerai are best for retaining value, while Omega is not as good as other top end brands

15. apropos

apropos Senior member